Which is the best format portable devices support?

Erlis Dhima August 22, 2012

What’s the best video format that most devices (PlayStation, XBOX, iPad, iPhone, Android based phones, etc…) support?

Maybe you will say ‘avi’, and that’s true… But ‘avi’ doesn’t support h.264 codec (which means, no good hd quality..)
So, maybe ‘mp4’ or ‘mkv’…
There are many video formats out there. I have good knowledge for them. But I would like to know more about compatibility with these devices… And maybe learn more for them…

1. Vivien Lu

Of course MP4. It is the most popular video format for almost all portable devices.

2. Tony Batty

Hey! Guys for your information I found a really neat software and it is 100% free and it is open source, you may want to give it a try, it works wonderful, no problems on my 1st 8 uses. I give it a 5 stars.

the program is handbrake and here is the link for you, http://handbrake.fr/
    it also includes some of the most popular formats used today for home and mobile use.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks Tony! But, I would recommend a better one: MeGui!

• Tony

Thanks for the recommendation, presently downloading to give it a try and see how it work, so I can recommend to others too.

3. Nikola Katsarov

my experience shows that mp4 is the best for portable devices - small size, better quality and smooth play

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks! I've used mp4 till now, and now I think more that this is the best format ever! Thanks again! :)

mp4 will do fine, some hardware do not support mkv or others so conversion will be needed. Normally devices has some video files inside copy/paste on pc and try to dind out codec info. Then compare to codec info of other your device to determine best bitrate.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks! Really descriptive! ^^