How can I format partitions to NTFS in Ubuntu so I can install Windows 7?

Troy Norvell October 14, 2012

I want to change my operating system from Ubuntu Linux to Windows 7, but it says my partitions are not in the right format. How do I format them to NTFS in Ubuntu?

1. Ramon Fletcher

Boot from the ubuntu live cd and use gparted to delete the partitions. Gparted can also create a ntfs partition or just let the windows boot disk do this

2. ali salah

GParted partion editor is the best partion editor for linux .
    note that you'll need to unmount the desired partions before you format them .

3. Lisa Santika Onggrid

GParted is all you need, if you still want your data intact. Otherwise, tell Win7 to wipe out the entire drive.

4. Efi Dreyshner

The best thing to do is to download GParted Live CD, and just do what you want...
    Be careful - I have seen a few user that have been messing around with GRUB and NTDLR, and couldn't boot to linux

5. Jonas Nordgren

what i did was deleted the partition using gparted instead of Re-formatting it, the installer formatted it with no problems at all.

6. Andrew Hutson

Download a free bootable partition editor such as GParted (google it). Burn that to a disc and then boot from it. That should solve your problem.

Use GParted in Ubuntu Linux

8. Zhong Jiang

use the live CD to access into Gparted configuration tool.

9. Imesh Chandrasiri

download the ultimate boot disc ( just google it ) and boot from it. go to disc tools and any formatting tool. format the disc to desired format and install windows... pretty easy!

10. Adrian Rea

It also depends if you want to keep the files from your UBUNTU and whether you want to dual boot. GParted is best if you want to keep your Ubuntu but otherwise Win7 installation should be able to format the whole drive,

11. Drew Butler

Use Gparted, here is a guide I found o Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jT8n9PKiFE
    It explains everything including the process of getting the program.
    (fyi. the guy curses a.few times. if you don't care for that just choose another tutorial video from the related videos section on the right).