How do I use format painting in Gmail?

Burin Kantabutra October 17, 2012

I want to be able to copy the format of one segment of text in Gmail to another segment of text, so that the second portion has the same font, font size, indentation, etc. as the first. This would be like the paintbrush tool in Outlook.

I understand that Google Docs has a format painter icon, with a roller brush as its symbol, but don’t know how to get it.

Many thanks!

1. Paul Pruitt

If you have something in Gmail in a special format you like and you want to apply it to a second text, try pasting the second text in Notebook then copy and paste from Notebook immediately after the text that you like. The format will not change to plain text but will remain in the first text's format.

I just tried it, it worked. It's not format painting because you have to move now your second text to where you want it in the Email, but maybe not so bad a workaround.

2. Nikhil Chandak

I think there is no format painting option in Gmail

3. Yiz Borol

One option is to copy the text with the desired format to a place like word and then copy in the the text w/o desired format and use word's format painter

Note: you need word 2007 or later to do this.

I guess this would also work with Gdocs.

Although it is not yet available, rumor has it that the feature is on its way!

5. Harry Barnes

There is no format painting option available in gmail, sorry!

6. Jonas Nordgren

i did some research, it seems that format painting isnt available in gmail yet, i did find many requests though, so this is a feature that well probably come out at some point.
    best wishes :)