How can I format a MicroSD card which is no longer detected after a failed format?

Kristian Sueta August 24, 2012

I formatted my MicroSD card and it went well but when I tried to format it again I cancelled it because it was not responding. Then when I tried to format it again it says “insert disk in drive F:”. when i put it in my Samsung Champ, it is not detected, but when i remove it, it says “memory card removed”.

Can I ever use my memory card again? How? Help me please!

1. amitdhyani

My mobile memory card is not detecting my PC and Mobile, when i connect it to PC format the card option comes but it is not formatting, kindly help

You must never format your memory card intended to be used for your mobile into PC as it can raise compatibility issues.

2. Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

easiest way to try or get confirmed that it is still alive is try formatting from command prompt.. go into command prompt and type -> format [drive in which SD is inserted]
    EX: format F:

3. sanjay_addya

I think the Micro SD Card is dead that is why you are not able to format it.

I believe that the drive should be readable if reformatted.

First, go to the search bar in the start menu. The start menu is in the lower left hand side of the screen. It's easily recognizable as a Windows icon and, sometimes, the word "start" is visible.

Once you click on this, a context menu will open up. Directly above the start menu icon you'll see "search programs and files". In the rectangular box (also known as the search bar), enter "create and format hard drive partitions".

You should see the utility show up even before you're done typing.

Next, you should see the flash drive show up in disk management, showing up as a drive equal in storage capacity to the MicroSD card. You should only need to right click on it and several options will show up. Format should be one of these options.

Disk management takes care of 90% of the problems I've experienced with corrupted SD cards. If that fails, there's some command line stuff that can be done. And a few utilities that specialize in recovering corrupted flash memory. Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

If it is recoverable then put it into your pc and that should tell you that it needs formatting, take it from there.

6. GrrGrrr

well, you shouldn't have canceled the format in between.
    Anyways, if u have a card reader could you try formatting it on a PC?

Try "SD Formatter 3.1 for SD/SDHC/SDXC"
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/