How can I force Google to use English in Chrome and Gmail while travelling?

Taras Kobushko August 24, 2012

I travel all the time. Currently I am staying in the Czech Republic. I need to stop Chrome from defaulting to the Czech language for all my dealings with Google. I just want English! I lose a lot of time getting things into English – how can I force it to be English from the start?

1. Igu

I've been looking for an answer to that problem for quite a while! I travel all the time and it drives me nuts! The obvious comments about the settings are more than discouraging. I use MacAir and Chrome 23.0.1271.64.

• Tina Sieber

Igu, in case you are still looking for a solution, you could try to post a new question for your specific case. There might be other ways that have not been mentioned yet.

2. abrar bukhari

please make google in english type

3. Vishal Mishra

Set English as your default language from setting section, as suggested by ha14 in the comments above.

• taras

Pleeease! Does anyone have a useful answer?

• sonja

same here on Chrome 22. Nothing helps. Chrome is not displayed in English

4. VV

change the language settings in the wrench icon..

• John

There is no wrench on the search page, so how do I switch off this goddamn forced czech language?
      This is recent, and has never happened before.

5. Blake Andreasen

Usually Google.com.(whatever) has a link to enlgish page and also to google.com (main page) Gmail will automatically switch to your prffered language when you log in

• Taras Kobushko

English has been set and re-set a number of times, as soon as I click Google search I get Google .cz, with no possibility to change language. I can, of course use English for inputs, but I can't imagine how many million travellers are cursing there way way into own languages in countries outside their own. Seem's an evident need for Google to put in a button or smthin'?

• barry

same problem here.
      what ever country I go to, google.com happens to appear in that language. When in CZ, it appears in CZ. When in Germany, it appears in German. If I am in Budapest, then it will be in Hungarian. If I type in google.com, than dammit! I want it on google.com in English. if I want it in German, then I will go to the .de page. Btw, my settings for everything including chrome is in English. So, everyone here saying to put ur language settings from the Chrome is not the solution.

6. Irshaad Abdool

log in to your 'Google account' accessible from the default google chrome homepage

Set English as the main language in the settings menu. That should fix it.

Open Google Chrome, click on Wrench icon and select Settings
    Scroll Down and expand Advanced Settings
    click on Languages and spell-checker settings under Languages

or
    in the Address bar type: chrome://settings/addLanguage
    popup showing languages. Select your language

Adjust fonts, languages, and encodings
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95416