How can I force Facebook to use a certain thumbnail in updates?

Julie-Ann Hind August 5, 2012

I wish to configure a system (using something like dlvr.it) so new threads on my forum go automatically to Facebook. I have tried this via Twitter but Facebook chooses a thumbnail that is one of my advertisers’ buttons on the forum page. I would like it to be the first image inside the thread instead.

Is it possible to guide Facebook to which image to pick when doing this? If so how would I do that? Thanks in advance.

1. muotechguy

Hi Julie. Facebook tries to use "open graph" meta tags on the page - check out the source code here, and you'll find one called "og:image" in the header. That's what will be used for the image on facebook. On the main site, we use the featured image of the article; here, we use a generic "makeuseof answers" image.

In wordpress, this would be easy to setup, but i'll afraid a forum is a little more difficult. You'd need some kind of a plugin for your specific setup. These will need to adjust the original source of the page rather than simply sending another parameter to facebook.

2. Saikat Basu

Try the advice given here - http://www.capstrat.com/insights/blog/facebook-share-thumbnail-image/

Maybe, it will help.

3. Rishabh Sharma

Hover over the thumbnail while posting and you can find a button to edit it

• Julie-Ann Hind

Hi Rishabh - do you mean to hover over the thumbnail in Facebook? If I post manually I get a choice of thumbnails but none of them are from the actual thread on the forum.
      I also want my posts to Facebook (with the pictures) to be automatic. So that way I need to make Facebook somehow choose thumbnails from inside the thread not others that are on the forum page.
      Does that make sense? Any ideas?