How can I force a computer to recognize my Zune?

Totoy Badiola October 21, 2012

I already tried connecting two functioning sync cable but it does not work. I also scanned it for change in hardware in the device manager, but it was not recognized.

The Zune device is a 2nd generation Zune. It failed to be recognized after a battery drain. It does even charge.

• Totoy Badiola

Did it. Glad to know that the experiences with Zune in the link you provided reinforced my troubleshooting techniques were correct. I already did those maneuvers but was unsuccessful. Your comment just reinforced my suspicion that my issue is truly hardware in nature. I so appreciate your advice. I think I will need to open my device as it is not anymore covered under the guarantee.. Bummer. Hey, many thanks.

2. Boni Oloff

Try to reinstall the Zune Device driver.

• Totoy Badiola

Many thanks for your reply/advice. But the thing is, I first need it to charge up. Nothing wrong with the installed Zune software in my unit. It works well with another Zune device. I guess, it is now a hardware issue.

• April Eum

then it must be the zune that is not recognizing the hardware?

• Totoy Badiola

Hmmm. If my Zune device does recognize the hardware which is the computer, I think I am lost here. I just want my computer or any other computer to recognize my Zune as a portable device. After which, I may be able to wade my way through. I do appreciate your thoughts though. Your question made think outside the box. Cheers.

• Totoy Badiola

Your question, April Eum is an eye-opener. If my Zune device does not recognize the computer, then what happened to my Zune? Is it the firmware or the hardware? Hey, this is thinking outside the box. Will get back to you once I am able to process your question. Great thought! Many thanks.

• Totoy Badiola

Wow! April Eum, your your question just made think. Could a malware disallow current to pass from a USB port to my device? Is this possible? Any ideas?

• Boni Oloff

Yeah that's possible the problem is your Zune. But before make that conclusion, try to use it in another computer. :)

check this microsoft solution for Zune
    Zune software doesn’t detect a Zune player or Windows Phone 7
    http://support.xbox.com/en-us/zune/player/software-does-not-detect-device

Remove and reinstall the Zune software
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/zune/software/remove-and-reinstall-zune

• Totoy Badiola

My Zune software is properly installed and it works well with another Zune device. I think it is now a hardware issue. Many thanks, though.

perhaps to use independent charger and see if it charges.

• Totoy Badiola

I did. I also have a generic sync cable ($3 worth) which functions well with another Zune device but not with this device in question. Truly a bummer. Appreciate your help very much, ha14. Many thanks, indeed.