For those of you in education – to what extent does your school use locally installed apps vs. free internet services?

Joseph Videtto February 13, 2013

Our school has an enormous amount of software purchased 5 to 10 years ago – mostly on CD-ROM. I am not familiar with any of it, and I’m not sure it is worth the time investment to bother given the installation effort (as our school moves toward use of laptops).

Educators – can you share
– what locally installed applications and programs you rely on mostly,
– what free internet services you use most in the classroom
– what paid internet services you use most in the classroom

1. Athul Jayaram

We use basic MS office, Netbeans and Mysql

we don't have internet access :)

1. Microsoft Campus Agreement for school for all Microsoft desktop, security and server software. It is a very cheap solution from Microsoft for schools.
    2. Google Apps for Education for email and collaborative environment. It is totally free.
    3. Education Videos at the Youtube Education portal http://www.youtube.com/education

3. Jonas Eikeland

At my school we are only allowed to use the browser, and the Microsoft Office programs.