How can I use font files for a website?

biplabzaman October 26, 2010

I am a web developer. A client asked me to use a specific font named ‘Passtine font Regular’. The client sent the 3 font files in a folder, which is named ._.DS_Store, ._Passt, ._Passtine.bmap. How can I use this file for web?

I am not sure what your question is and you may need to help us by specifying.

Are you able to extract the fonts from the folder you received and use them on your computer?

For websites you should never use exotic fonts! Exceptions are graphics, i.e. fonts that are part of a design. For example a logo that is only displayed as an image can contain any font.

However, general text must be in a default font. The reason is that anyone viewing the website must have this font installed, otherwise their browser will automatically default to a standard font like 'Arial' or 'Times New Roman'. This in turn might make your website look awkward.

If your client insists on using this font, all text must be part of an image. This, however, means that it can not be highlighted, copied, or searched. The latter can be a big disadvantage if your client wants their material to be indexed by search engines. On the other hand, it will be more difficult for a random person to copy your client's material and use it somewhere else.

I hope this answer was helpful. Please let us know in case you need more information and most of all give us some feedback in case this answer was helpful. Thank you very much!

Actually it is possible ~ and thanks to CSS3 not that hard ~ to use custom fonts on websites.

I recommend the following article:
      http://sixrevisions.com/css/font-face-guide/

Oh wow, thank you for the input Mike! I wasn't aware of this being available, yet.

The client sent you the wrong files! These are no actual font files!

As for "._Passt" and "._Passtine.bmap" they are files from Mac OS X (Apple Double). They contain resource forks and all other metadata. When you move a file from HFS+ (file system used by Macs) to another one which doesn't support these type of metadata e.g. FAT32 Mac OS X will create files named "._" to transport these informations. http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20578

.DS_Store is also Mac OS X only and contains all kinds of folder settings

Conclusion: You are still missing the font. The client needs to send you the correct file.

• Jessica Cam W.

Tell your client to submit the font file that ends in ".ttf". I found that commercial font on EagleFonts and that's how I know the file should have the TrueType Format file extension.