Would the following hardware work well for a gaming platform?

Daniel P August 16, 2014

Hello everyone ! I’m planning on upgrading my PC because the hardware I have now is starting to get pretty old… I use my PC most for gaming, recording (gameplay footage with commentary) and editing (most of the time using Sony Vegas or Adobe AA). Now, I’m planing to upgrade my processor to i7 4770k because it is pretty powerful processor and I have heard it is good for that kind of stuff; with the processor I will need to upgrade my motherboard so I’m planning to upgrade to MSI z87-G45. Now my question is, would this upgrade be reasonable and would this setup last some time for me?

Other specs:
GPU: Sapphire HD7850
RAM: 4GB
PSU: Can’t remember the actual number but I think its between 850W-900W
HDD: 500GB SATA Drive + Seagate Ext. 2TB Drive

I agree that this would be a good setup, however, I would recommend a Z97 board over a Z87. Overclocking should be better and should handle heat better. Also, there is support for 5th generation i series Haswell refresh processors in case you wish to upgrade later. More information can be found here: http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/z97-and-z87-difference-a-59.html.

For video processing and rendering, minimum 8GB is suggested, and 16GB is recommended for better performance. You would definitely see and feel the difference with going to at least 8GB.

The HD 7850 gpu is a decent choice for price to performance. The new R series cards are higher priced and not much better performing except for the expensive higher end cards; the bigger difference is lower power consumption and lower heat generation in the new series cards. If possible, try for the 7870, but the 7850 would suffice.

I would agree with getting an SSD for your operating system and major programs for better speed, and the price for a 120GB is quite affordable. If it is out of your range for now, skip it until you can afford it. You should be able to move the OS and programs to the SSD, leaving storage for media and other files to the hard drives.

• Daniel P

It looks that Z97 is only £10 more expensive than the Z87, so I will go with the Z97. I already have the HD 7850 and it's pretty new so I'm not planning on upgrading it yet, I want to upgrade things like RAM beforehand. An SSD is out of range for now, but I will be buying one once I have some more budget. For now I have my OS on the HDD, and rest of my files are on the ext. HDD. Thank you for the advice.

• Dalsan M

You should be pretty well set with the existing hardware abd the upgrades you chose. Good luck and enjoy.

• Daniel P

Once again thank you for the answer, I will go with the z97 Gaming 7 and i7 4770k for now; later I will upgrade my RAM to 8GB or maybe 16GB depending on the price, after that I will probably go with an SSD to have the games, Windows and videos on separate hard drives.

Susendeep D is right, also if possible to use SSD for Windows OS. If you want you can wait for DDR4 motherboards, Sapphire HD7850 good price/performance
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/38315/msi-tease-ddr4-wielding-x99-motherboard/index.html

Your options are good and would definitely last long.But you need to take certain things into considerations,

increasing RAM to 8-16GB 1600 MHz
    and to have a better aftermarket CPU cooler from CoolerMaster,Antec etc..

• Daniel P

Yes, RAM is next up on the upgrade list. I have already looked at some aftermarket coolers and I think I will go with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo because I have read many good reviews about it.