Why were the folders on my memory card converted into EXE files and how do I get my data back?

Ajay Arya January 22, 2012

I insert my memory card into a computer in internet cafe. But when I plug it out then all of my card’s folders are converted into .exe form of 750 KB or something type. So please help me. How I get my data back? I can play my all memory card songs audio and video via music player. But can’t see my snaps. What should I do?

1. shiva

In this case every folder is hided and a file "folder name.exe" is created. So, original folders are safe, but they are hidden. you just have to unhide them.In windows you can't unhide them easily.if you are using any smart phone or java based & Nokia, then, just download any file explorer software and there u can unhide them.

2. Arfa

Go to folder options and select show hidden files. Back up the original data and format your memory card. Copy all your data to memory card and enjoy. Actually it is a virus which hides your original folders and create .exe applications with the name of your folders.

3. alok

my memory card shows me shortcut folder but i have deleted it how i got my important folders pls help me

4. jay

aftbr remove in pc my memory card in all folders convert in .exe type..
    plz solved thi Problem

5. jay

my memory card and pendrive in file.exe proble..
    all folder atometicaly convert in .exe file
    plz help me

6. Varma

Scan those files in avira anti virus means good antivirus..then it will asks u repair or delete u hav to repair all files click on the virus files replace it..finsh u wil get ur data thn copy files to ur cmputr and format mem card and paste into ur mem card again..over

7. Raman

Same problem here.i also insert my memory card into someone's computer having window 7,but when i put it into my mobile slot,all folders got converted into .exe.

Temporary solution : Never use card reader to get data or information from someone's pc.Use data cable and always use Window media player to drag the songs into your memory card.You can also use Nokia suite and vice versa.

8. Ndende

Guyz can you pliz help,,i was transferring files from my p.c to the memory card, after that i inserted the memory card in my nokia n97mini, when i viewed the folders, i found shortcuts and i cant even view anything but when i connect the memory card to the computer i can view everything, pliz help hw can i view the files on my phone...thanx in advance

did you really transferred actual files? or you made a mistake and transferred shortcuts?

• Susendeep Dutta

You had transferred shortcuts to those files and hence you can see those files while connecting your phone to PC.So,delete those shortcut files from your phone and select those files,press ctrl+c and press ctrl+v in your phone's folder.This will make sure that you're not copying shortcuts and only actual files.

9. 5h@r!f

Your files/data are still there my friend. Believe me it's really a easy task to get your data back as they were before. You can see at http://techstrick.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-solve-folders-showing-as.html for more detail instructions.
    1. Connect your memory card as Mass Storage
    2. Type in the command prompt: attrib -s -h -r -a /s /d drive_letter:*.*
    3. Scan your drive/memory card before deleting exe and shortcuts.
    *** "drive_letter:" may be j: , k: or d:

• Msithole65

thanks dude it worked out.

• abinav

if i type the above its showing invalid switch

• aditya

thanx man it worked!!!

• NeedItFixed

this does want to work all the files are on my phone but no folders are on my pc

• Gaurav

Hi this command works but for each item it says

Access Denied - g:\File name

Please advice

• ambongan

you're a life saver!

10. Jovison

Correct me if i'm wrong.. your files were still in your memory card.. it's in a "_" folder and was hidden so you think that it was lost. The unit (pc) you used is infected but still your data's are unharmed, it happened that it was moved into another folder.. also be thankful that your memory card is not corrupted.. its annoying isn't it..?! don't forget to delete those folders that has been converted into .exe files or else your pc might be infected as well.

1. Go to control Panel, Folder Options -- select VIEW--- select Show hidden 
    files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files 
    (recommended)  click APPLY
    2. go to your sd card  delete the virus and all the shortcut folders that have 
    no data in them. create new folders (give the same name as your normal non infected hidden folders) and copy the data from YOUR hidden folders 
    into them. once that is done delete the old hidden folders.
    3. enter task manager--- find the virus program that is still running which will 
    have the same name as the one you just deleted off the hard drive
    4. go back to control panel, Folder options select view- select DO 
    NOT show hidden files and folders and recheck Hide protected operating system 
    files (recommended).

• Jen

Thank u sooooooo much... This just saved me!

• Sapiens

Thanks, I will try this.

• abinav

how to copy the datas from the hidden folder i have also changed as u said but i cant

• NeedItFixed

my antivirus delete all the shortcut folders but i still have all the data on my phone but i cant see it on my pc

• EddieG

Thank you so damn much!!! youre tha best this really helped me

12. Jay.0

It's newfolder.exe virus.
    I think any updated antivirus can remove it.

I believe your data is just hidden.
    So choose to show hidden files form the folder options.
    open a folder.
    tools >folder options >view

And tell me if you got your data back.

Keep a folder named autorun.inf in your removable storage device for some protection.

Hello, now it is too late to give advice but I would try to avoid using any memory card/USB drive in a public computer, specially if use same card/USB drive in your computer to avoid infection.  To protect your computer a little bit, make sure to disable auto-play in your computer to avoid infecting it.  Chances are your card got infected. 

To make sure your card is not infected, the first step would be to scan it for viruses/malware.  There are several tools for doing this.  After system is reporrted clean, you could also try using re-enable:

Visit following link and download the portable version:

-- insert card into memory slot
    -- navigate to folder where software was downloaded
    -- double click on Re-enable.exe file
    -- enter password if needed
    -- once program opens, click on tools
    -- select scan and delete Auturun.inf
    -- once that is completed, click on tools again
    -- click on reset files/ folder attributes
    -- check to see if files show as exe

If after doing this, your files remain as .exe, you might have to fix the file association.  Here is a link to fix file association for windows 7:

If you are talking about image files, make sure to download the fixes for image files like jpg, gif, jpeg, etc.