Why do flash media files crash my Windows 7 laptop?

andy July 2, 2010

Some weeks ago my laptop started to crash on flash videos, then on other media files, and then (rarely) even without media file. The problems went so bad that it actually had trouble booting.

Also my Lenovo tends to overheat. On standard boot it would crash at about 60-70 Celsius on the processor.

After some research I realized that if I boot in safe mode (with a hack enabling sound) or in Linux I have no problem.

So it seems that it is something that loads on boot causing the problem. Any idea what it might be?

This can be due to one of three issues:1) Firstly, your Flash Player files could be corrupt. Just to make sure that they aren't, try uninstalling and re-installing the player.2) Outdated graphics drivers are known to behave badly with Flash. Make sure you have the latest version of graphics drivers on your system.3) This could be a browser specific issue as well. Once, on my computer, the culprit was Google Chrome, I uninstalled and updated to the latest version of Chrome and the problem was solved. Try doing the same for the browser you use.

Regarding the overheating issue, have you tried getting your laptop fan checked? If it's a faulty fan, the laptop can overheat and shutdown when a large number of processes are active. Your laptop may be working OK in safe mode and Linux because of the lack of heavy processes.

2. Andy

Thanks, i am trying some of these and there seem to be some improvements, although nothing definitive. So I am not yet sure if it works.

Andy,

this is a wild guess, but it could be a hardware issue that is enforced by loading graphic-intensive software. This would explain why the issue has slowly worsened until Windows 7 alone will crash your computer.My suggestion would be to disable graphical features in Windows 7. If you would like to try this, please follow the instructions given under #3 in Mahendra's article Speeding Up Windows 7: Everything You Need to KnowIf I'm correct, this will not solve your issue. Other things you could try is checking running processes via the task manager, close them, and manage the programs that launch at Windows 7 boot. This eHow article explains how you can change the startup programs in Windows 7.Please let us know whether or not you were able to solve the issue in the meantime. Thank you!