How can I allow the use of Flash Drives on a public computer without using an admin account?

Sally Haysom March 24, 2012

We are a family history centre and one of our computers is connected to a digital reader. We just got a new tech and last week he “played” around with the copier/scanner/printer as the scanner did not work.

Now most of the time when patrons put in their flash drive/memory stick the computer will say it needs to download the “driver”. Because I have the only admin code unless I happen to be there to log in under admin the patrons can not save images to their drives.

I brought 8 different of my flash drives in and half worked with no problems and half asked for the driver to be downloaded first. When you do this, it will ask for the driver to be downloaded AGAIN but you just have to click on cancel installation, click on my computer and the flash is there. How can I fix what happened as I can not be running over there every time patrons have this problem.

1. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

Well, I would take to the IT tech would worked on the computers and see what he can do. 

Honestly, it sounds like someone installed software that didn't belong, or tweaking with things that shouldn't be messed with, on the computers and he is preventing that. There is a way to tweak with the policy where he can allow certain drivers to be install, and not allow unauthorized installs/tweaks... a win win. 

Also saying a tech "played" with a piece of equipment is kind of insulting to a IT guy like myself... also if he just worked on a printer... how did he affect the other computers on the network... only way they go together is if someone was messing with drivers that shouldn't have been messed with... which gets back to unauthorized tweaks part...

• Shaysom

I certainly did not intend to insult anyone. This tech is brand new and was unsure HOW he had fixed the scanner which is attached to an UN-networked printer and a computer which is attached to our digital reader. I went back the day after I posted and checked all the other computers with a dozen or so flash drives and they all worked fine on all of them. Just this particular one. And because this is the machine that patrons use to save their film images onto their flash drives so it was critical that we get it fixed. I just get bothered when something is fixed and when asked how I get told well not sure, it just is working so no worries... well till the next time it happens again and I have to call them back to start the whole process again.!!

• Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

Ok, If you want to fix it yourself, but if you have a IT department that has the responsibility of working on or repairing the computers... you could get in hot water. I will let you decide that.

My first question, What version of windows is on that computer?

• Shaysom

Windows XP

• Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

What version of XP exactly? 
          To find out, Click Start, Right Click My Computer, Select Properties. 

Is the computer a member of a domain? To find out, Click Start, right click M Computer, and select Properties. There should be several tabs, but Computer Name is the one you want

when you download and install driver, you have to reboot.

you can try USB SCRUB
    http://www.nexcopy.com/downloads/USBScrub.zip
    http://www.everythingusb.com/nexcopy-usb-scrub-18004.html
    Once you used it reboot, then when you reconnect again drives, windows will install a clean driver.

3. Kagnon

Some devices have enhanced security chips on them which requires drivers.
    But cancelling them shouldn't cause any issues unless they encrypted their drives.

If i'm not wrong you only need to install the drivers once for each brand/series of that external storage.