How can I fix my Windows laptop that will no longer boot?

Rich January 2, 2012

I upgraded my WindowsVista to a Windows 7 awhile back.

Whenever I try to turn my computer on, it gives my Launch Startup Repair (recommended) and Launch Windows Normally. Normal gives me a Blue Screen Of Death that flashes by so quickly, all I can make out is unmounted boot volume. The startup repair just leads me to a black screen with a flashing underscore symbol.

I tried booting Windows 7 from a disc, and that didn’t work. I tried booting Ubuntu as well, and I think the version I have may be faulty, as it just hangs at the ISOLINUX 4.04 screen.

ANY help would be appreciated!

1. Richard D

I ended up trying UBUNTU one more time and it worked, but the error is telling me.

Error Mounting: mount exited with exit code 13:ntfs_attr_pread_i:ntfs_pread failed:input/output errorFailed to read NTFS $Bitmadp: input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or its a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk(which Idk how) /f on windows then reboot into windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and dmount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory e.g. dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details. 

WHAT DO I DO. I don't think I have a softraid/fakeraid hardware...

• Oron Joffe

This sounds very much like something I've seen once, namely, |a previous attempt to repair the system was aborted prematurely and the disc was left with the 'dirty' flag on.
      The solution was to restart the system (from the hard disc, choose the repair option at startup and WAIT. I had to wait about two hours before the repair wizard window showed up, and it took a while to work after that, but it did fix the problem, so give it a shot!

reset cmos battery and try to boot again with windows cd, my guess is that windows thinking that the hard drive is raw!

Hello, What happens when you try starting in safemode?  I would try starting from safemode first.  It you still get same results, it is probably a driver that is faulty/corrupted.  It could also be problems with your hard drive.  Have you performed any driver updates lately?  Have you installed any windows updates or any other software?  First thing to try after safemode is disabling automatic restart when windows fails.  Once you disable automatic restart and you get a blue screen, your computer will stay in the blue screen giving you time to check the error it is giving you.  You could also try clicking on Pause/Break button to pause screen in blue screen.  To disable automatic restart, try the next steps:

-- restart computer
    -- keep pressing F8 key to enter Advanced menu
    -- a black screen with white lettering will appear with several options
    -- scroll down until you find Disable automatic restart on system failure
    -- highlight entry and click enter
    -- once you click enter computer will restart
    -- select your start as normal
    -- when blue screen appears, make sure to record any error number and if it shows a driver or any file with a .sys extension make sure to record it too.
    -- you can either research that error or post it here

Once above is done, insert your installation disk, and make sure to start your computer from it.  If possible make sure to change your boot order in BIOS to start from CD/DVD and save your settings.  While you are in BIOS, it is also a good idea to check if your harddrive shows.  It is usually in the first page of BIOS and If for some reason hard drive doesn't show up, that is your problem there.  I know you already said you have tried, but it is worth it to try again.

If computer starts from disc, make sure to try a system repair.  You can follow the instructions posted in next link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/