How can I fix a Windows 7 boot problem without the original installation disc?
Question by Joeyy /

About 5 weeks ago I borrowed a Windows 7 CD off my friend and updated my Dell studio 1550 from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Great! All working well until today.

When I turn on, it says after recently updating encountered a fault please insert installation CD! Problem is, the CD has since broken (it got crushed)! I tried to boot in Safe Mode, but the Safe Mode boot menu is not there! This is not a lie, it’s gone!

Now I’m looking for help to access my computer, which I cannot due to this message it does not let me log in! I was wondering would this system recovery disc work?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR HELP IN ADVANCE!!!

Hello, are you sure that the disk you borrowed was a cd? Once you install windows, you have 30 days to activate/register it. If you do not, you will not be able to use it for long….Yes, you can get the repair disk from the link you provided. As long as it is a boot up problem you can repair it with that disk. If it is a serious problem, like a corrupted file, it might still ask you for the installation media. Just keep in mind that it is always better to do a clean install as opposed to an upgrade…

If you bought an retail Upgrade/Full Licence you either got a DVD within the package or some instruction to download the Media from the Microsoft Store homepage.

If you bought the Licence directly from the Microsoft Store you should be able to download the official ISO by logging into the Store.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/

This is also the method I suggest because you never know what’s really inside those third-party CD’s offered on the internet.