How to fix website display problems for XDA and other sites?

Vipul J July 26, 2014

Recently I’ve been having trouble with my Internet connection.

To be specific, there are 2 main problems.

1. A site I rely on a lot opens all weird, with wrong orientation, no theme, just weirdly placed hyperlinks with no images (forum.xda-developers.com). I’ve tried it in Chrome, Firefox & IE11. I’ve tried switching the modem on & off, using CCleaner to clear out all the past cookies, cache & browsing history. I also tried opening in incognito mode with all the plugins off. As a last resort I even formatted my laptop. But still it’s the same.
  2. On some sites, here and there the images have stopped loading and I get that non loaded broken image icon.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Also I’ve no knowledge whatsoever about networking, I don’t even know how to check my IP address (except visiting whatsmyip.com), so please be descriptive if your solution has something to do with something ‘networky’.

Thanks!

Have you tried resetting your modem to factory defaults? If you can add filters and stuff within the modem settings then you seem to have a pretty unrestricted access and some alteration there might be causing the issue.

You also said things are working fine using VPN. So if the issue comes from your provider then they are your only chance to really get around it. The problem is that you might be able to block their adds but you won't be able to do something about filters, code alterations and stuff on their end.
    Contact the support and state your issues. It might be a genuine problem and their technical support should be able to fix it be it.

• Vipul J

Yeah I guess you are right. I'll give them a call though their customer service is the worst, but due to limited options in uncapped bandwidth providers I'm stuck with them.

2. Vipul J

Ok, here's some additional info, I dug up.
    My ISP MTNL, has been inserting intrusive ads for a week now, and coincidentally my issue has been prevailing since that time.
    I found an article on this - http://www.tech4every1.com/2014/04/e-bill-popup-ads-mtnl-how-to-block-them.html
    But the things listed in it, added filters to modem settings & ABP, still haven't corrected my issue.
    I added filters, ccleaned my browsers, rebooted modem, still the same issue.

I hope this helps in helping me.

It's a bit trivial, but I gotta ask - have you tried rebooting your router? If not, do it now!

• Vipul J

Yes I did. And in addition to rebooting, I also unplugged all the cables, blew into the ports to remove any dust and then plugger them back in. Still yhe the same issue persists.

• Oron J

Good work. The fact that you rebuilt your laptop suggests that the problem is not there (unless it has something to do with the Antivirus/firewall, you could try disabling them for a few minutes to see if this makes a difference).

In a nutshell, the symptoms you describe fit a very slow/erratic network. It could be the modem, as Jan suggests, but I agree with him that the most likely cause is your ISP itself - particularly in light of what you wrote about pop up adverts etc. Contact their tech support and report this as a fault.

4. Vipul J

Also I just visited XDA via a proxy (hidemyass) and it's loading perfectly.
    So I'm confused what's the issue. If my ISP had interfered the site would be blocked, not partially blocked?