Can I fix my water damaged iPod 3G?

nicky157524 April 22, 2012

My 3G iPod fell into a small amount of water and was pulled out no more than 2-3 seconds afterwards. It will turn on when you press the power button, but the home button and touch screen are useless.

I know I can either buy another or have it fixed. I drained as much water as possible, and am currently trying to add light heat to evaporate any moisture, as that has helped my past phone.

If there is anything that can be done that will give me my iPod back, please let me know. It will not play any music either and I have tried controlling the unit with my iPod headphones which has no effect either.

1. Declan Lopez

Put it in a bowl of rice, it worked for my brother.

2. GamerJunkdotNet

Best solution if you do not want to pay someone to fix it is to place it in a bowl of dry rice to allow the rice to soak up the moisture.

3. Tiago

Let it sit turned off in rice for as long as possible. Worked on a number of electronics in the past. The rice will soak up moisture without being aggressive. Been using my Nexus One since August 2010 when it fell in water. This works

4. Kyem Ghosh

There might be a possibility of short circuit which might hav damaged some ICs, and so might be the home button and the touch screen is not working. And sensor ICs are much sensitive to water. This might hav caused your Pod damaged. But thank God that the power is getting on. The method said by Bruce works, I heard, but if you hav done it immediately within an hour, and obviously luck must favour you! Go to an Apple centre soon to repair your damaged circuits n ICs.. If your power supply in the Pod is alright then they will need less time to repair it.. Please don't go to local shops as they will damage it much more...

• Richard Carpenter

As a Apple Certified tech, I don't work for Apple or a "Apple" computer shop and can easily repair a damage iPod Touch. Apple hardware isn't some exotic tech that no one else has seen, a local tech would be just fine.

And on the flip side, They probably will not repair it saying they need to buy a new one.

5. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

I had this happen to a ipod classic and a few phones. I usually leave them in rice, like Bruce mentioned, from around a week and they generally work or at least better than they did before the rice.
    The main thing to remember is that the water has shorted it out, and damaged has been done. It may work but never as good as it did.

With most small electronic devices, there is a simple procedure that works in this situation.  If you can remove the battery, do so.  Fill a zip-loc sandwich bag about half-full of rice, put the device in it and seal the bag.  Let it sit overnight.  The next day, you should be able to replace the battery and fire it up.  I have heard this works with Apple devices as well even though you cannot (easily) remove the battery from them and the trying time can be as much as two days.