How can I fix a video loop error on my rooted HTC Explorer?

Akshay Ghate February 1, 2012

I recently rooted my HTC Explorer. Everything was fine until last night. When I played an AVI video file (video H264 and audio mp3) in the default player, the video stopped after few seconds and I had to manually start the playback. This happened every 10-15 seconds. When I used 3rd party app such as MX video player, the video paused and started again from the same point. In both cases, it’s very annoying :(

The only root apps I have are titanium backup, droidwall, Cache cleaner NG and link2sd. And this error has started occurring out of nowhere. I have attached a screenshot of log below. I think this has something to do with the OMX flushed issue. Has anyone faced this and is there any solution?

http://i41.tinypic.com/34xl62o.jpg

1. Akshay Ghate

if its a ROM problem, I don't want to flash.. everything is set up so perfect.. don't want to do everything again...

up to you to decide, you can try a converter to reduce the avi frame size, perhaos this can help. If you witness the same issu of the file on pc with WMP, VLC, then it is from the avi file.

• Akshay Ghate

Problem is not with the files.. they run normally everywhere

well then hope is not hardware problem link to the graphic part in HTC Explorer. If you know someone with  HTC Explorer then try the file there and see if the problem repeats.

as suggested try another video player, if it works well then possibly it is rom problem, you have to flash again?

3. Akshay Ghate

Yes I have.. I tried diff codec, video files, lowered the resolution of videos, diff FPS but no luck.. Same files play fine on computer.. in fact they used to play fine on my mobile..

I found a temporary solution.. I tried several combinations of video
    players and files encoded using diff codecs. The error was consistent
    with all video formats including avi (H264 and xvid/divx both), MP4,
    mpg, mkv and flv.

Default player - When error occurs , video gets paused and I have to manually resume playback

MOBO player - When error occurs, video is interrupted for about 1 sec but resumes playback.. sometimes it returns to main menu.

MX Video Player - When error occurs, if I have screen lock on, screen
    is unlocked showing control bar.. video is interrupted for about 1-1.5
    seconds but resumes playback automatically.

QQPlayer - When error occurs, video is interrupted for barely
    milliseconds, and if I have screen lock on, control bar does not pop
    up. I think for now I have to live with this...

But that doesn't solve the issue permanently..

Hello, only advice that comes to mind is to visit the site of app you used to root your device and check if same thing has happened to other people.  Maybe you can ask them to check it out for you? or add it as a bug?

• Smayonak

Tough problem. Hopefully it's not something permanent.

I reason that it could be one of two issues: a driver issue or poorly designed software. I'm leaning toward poorly designed software. I have two questions and then some speculation on what it might be, as well as some simple tips. Read the last two paragraphs for the simple tips.

(1) You mentioned being rooted. Did you also install/flash a custom ROM?

The reason a custom ROM might be an issue is because sometimes custom ROM developers cannot get the phone's graphics processor working right or efficiently and they instead rely on software rendering, which could cause the video problems you're experiencing. If so, try Google and see if a custom ROM may be causing this.

(2) Have you tried wiping your cache and dalvik-cache and reinstalling your video apps? This can be done from within Titanium Backup (which you wisely installed). It can also be done from most recovery menus (if you installed one). Cache problems for some reason arise whenever there's modding involved.

OK, so here's my analysis/speculation: As with most video players on Windows, I'm assuming that codecs can either be isolated within the video player or in a shared location where all video players have access. If something were wrong with the default video player then the issue would pop up in all video players reliant on that codec.

However, it's the pause icon (if I understood correctly) that's popping up when playback stops. It sounds like an automated setting either available within the player or in Android's operating system's settings. So could it be the screen sleep settings? What would happen if you set the device screen to never turn off?

Good luck!

Hello, Have you tried playing different media files on it?  Does the same thing happen with all the files you try to play?  if this only happenend with the one file, chances are there is something wrong with the file itself.  Have you tried copying the file to your computer and check if it plays ok there?