How can I fix the speakers on my Asus gaming laptop?

Kevin March 19, 2011

I got an Asus laptop that was built for gaming. The speakers don’t work, although the headphone jack does. How do I get the speakers to work?

Hi

Go to preferences and change your output plugin in by highlighting the Wave Output plugin. Stop playback and play song again problem.

Hello, have you tried running the dxdiag command? You do not mention what your operating system is. This command is specific for audio and video. It will tell you what is working right, drivers, possible problems, etc. It also provides troubleshooters. Here are some ways to get to it on different operating systems:

On XP:
    -- start
    -- run
    -- type dxdiag on box
    -- when box pops up read all the info and click next page
    -- when you get to the sound page click on test direct sound
    -- if there is something wrong, it will hopefully tell you there.

on Windows 7/Vista
    -- start
    - type dxdiag on search box
    - follow the steps above

Have you checked your device manager for possible errors with sound?
    -- click on windows key + Pause/Break key
    -- select hardware
    -- click on device manager
    -- find and expand the heading Sound, video and game controllers
    -- do you see any entry there with questions mark?

Hello, were the speakers working when you bought it? or they stopped working all of the sudden? If speakers were not working when you bought it, there is probably a wire loose inside your case. Speakers are plugged into small sockets on your laptop's motherboard. It is possible that they are loose or not connected at all. To fix it in this case, you would have to open the laptop and make sure that wires are plugged in or if you are not comfortable doing so, take it to somebody that works on laptops. Before following this step, make sure to check your guarantee....it might void it. Also another solution if you are within your guarantee is to take your laptop back where you bought so that they can fix it for you.

If the speakers stopped working all of the sudden, it is a different thing because you would have to troubleshoot until you find the issue. It could be caused by software or hardware issues. It could be caused by software issues like drivers, and it could be caused by hardware issues like the following;
    faulty motherboard audio chipset, cabling, or the speakers. Can you explain a little bit more?

• Jusdubbin

I appreciate the help, Fidelis. The speakers did not work when I received it. I bought it refurbished off of eBay, and I bought one with extra memory and ram for speed, optimized for gaming though I don't game. I use it for graphics and audio production with ProTools, so I don't use the onboard speakers much, but it would just be nice to have them for the occasional youtube video without having to plug in ear buds. Hard to imagine a refurbished machine would have disconnected speakers, unless that's part of the gaming optimization. It's not worth shipping it back to whoever I bought it from for such a minor issue. I was thinking that maybe the speakers were shut off somewhere to make it more suitable for gaming or something, and it might be an easy adjustment. I've looked all through the control panels and such, and can't seem to find any reference to the actual built in speakers, though I see them there. There is also no physical volume rocker switch on the box. When I'm listening to the ear buds I can only control the volume using the speaker icon on the bottom right tool bar.