How do I fix sound problems on an HP Envy Sleekbook?

Cean L August 20, 2014

My cousin owns an HP Envy TouchSmart Sleekbook 4-1105dx. She is encountering a problem regarding her sound devices, I tried installing drivers and it’s still not functioning. Any other suggestions regarding this matter or do I have to do something else to fix this? Thanks for your help, friends! We’re looking forward to see your comments :)

Hello, you could try the dxdiag command, to do so try the folllowing:

- click on start
    - click on run
    - type dxdiag and press enter
    - in the box that opens select the tabs for sound
    - you might have more than one sound tab, check each one of them to see if there is any problem reported

Given your replies to Hovsep and myself, I'd say it's either a hardware problem, or the volume set low _somewhere_. It's difficult to be more specific, as there are multiple volume controls, each version of Windows is different and some soundcard control panels have their own volume control, so there can be anywhere from 2 to about 5 sliders, but be thorough about it and check every nook and cranny.
    Another test you could do is to plug in headphones (or external speakers) and see if tehy work. If they do, it may be a hardware problem with the internal speakers or the jack.

Use the troubleshooter
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab3&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1
    which windows version you have?
    if you have restore point then you can try it to see if will fix the problem. what is exactly the sound problem? when a video or audio is played?

When you say "a problem regarding her sound devices", do you mean she's getting no sound out of the laptop, or is it something else like an error message, lack of speakers icon on the taskbar or device shown as disabled/not working properly in device manager?

• Cean L

Speaker icon and device manager status are a-ok.