How can I fix the sound on my HP620 laptop?

Bogdan Spoitu January 28, 2012

When Windows starts, there is no sound from my laptop. If I connect my headphones, they work but without bass and with a lot of distortion. I can usually fix it with a reboot, but I’ve encountered this problem several times. There doesn’t appear to be any issue in the sound panel. How can I fix this?

1. Bogdan Spoitu

I still kinda need a solution, now it seems that my speakers aren t working at all, again :(

2. Bogdan Spoitu

Ok, I will tell you the late changes. The laptop still starts with no sound. But I found out, eventually, how to recover the sound. I went to the sound panel where I have my speakers as primary device and headphones as default communication device. I disabled the communication device status from the headphones and transfered it to the speakers. I then disable and enable the speakers and they suddenly work. Afterwards, I activated the headphones's communication status back, but they don't seem to work at all. All I can hear now, and still in a distorted wave, is tiny fragments at a very low volume, whilst the speakers still work :/ .  I uninstalled and re-installed my sound card driver and right now, the laptop starts again with no sound, but the headphones quality is perfect(I mean normal). If I repeat the steps above I can make the speakers sound, but they won't deactivate whatsoever when I plug in my headphones. I checked my device manager and performed a dxdiag, no visible errors or problems occured anywhere. When I checked my driver status before uninstalling, it said it "works properly"

Thanks for the heads-up Bogdan!

Hello, what operating system are you running?  Did the sound work ok until recently? 

In your laptop, is there a knob to increase/decrease sound?  If there is
    make sure that is set as high as it can go and try sound.  That could
    be one of the reasons you can only hear sound with headphones.  Another reason
    could be that your default sound is set to headphones.  To find if this is
    the case, right click on sound icon in taskbar and click under playback option.  Make sure speakers are set to default.  Another reason could also be that your sound is set to mute.  You can check that by right click sound icon in taskbar and check the volume mixer options.  Make sure to unmute speaker sound.  

If none of the above help, you could try running the dxdiag command.  If you are running windows 7, try the following:

-- click on start
    -- type dxdiag in search box
    -- check under sound tab
    -- check under Notes section to see if there is any problems found.  If there is, there should be an error code. 

You could try checking device manager to see if it shows any problems with your sound:

-- click on start key + Pause/Break key at same time
    -- click on device manager
    -- find the sound, video and game controllers.  Is there a question mark next to it or a warning?
    -- expand entry by click on arrow or + sign
    -- click on entry for sound
    -- right click and select  properties
    -- in general tab, what is the device status?
    -- try the update drivers option
    -- restart your system
    -- is there any sound?

If there is no sound you could try visiting the laptop's manufacturer site and download the sound drivers provided for your model and operating system.   

Driver Download (HP)
    http://www8.hp.com/in/en/support-drivers.html

Once you have drivers downloaded to your laptop, follow steps above and when you right click on sound entry, select uninstall and then restart your system.  Once you restart system, windows will try to install generic sound drivers.  Let the system install drivers and then try your sound.   If the generic drivers give you no sound, navigate to where you downloaded the drivers from manufacturer and install them. 

Let me know how it goes.

I am pretty sure that you have a hardware issue. I'd advise updating your sound drivers, but since you say it works with headphones (though distorted) it won't help.