How can I fix sound and ethernet on my Windows XP Pro?

george gardner May 12, 2010

My computer recently crashed and I had someone work on it. He put a different Windows XP Professional on it, but the sound and Ethernet port do not work. I went to Microsoft with the problem and they said the numbers were wrong and I can’t get any updates from them, short of buying a new operating system. What can I do to fix this problem?

i agree with everyone who suggests updating the drivers. If you don't have the drivers and not able to find them on manufacturer's website try using a program called Device Doctor.

If you wont be able to download missing drivers with Device Doctor then read folllowing MakeUseOf article on How To Find Unknown Device Drivers By Their Vendor & Device ID.

Good luck!

2. Steve Campbell

George,

Microsoft can't help you here. Sometimes when you reinstall an OS on a system, certain drivers are missing. Right click My Computer, go to Properties, the Hardware tab, and Device Manager and see if there are any yellow question marks.

If there are, you are missing drivers for those pieces of hardware. Simply go to your computer's manufacturer's website (e.g. Dell.com if it's a Dell) and you can download the drivers you need for free.

I think your problem is incompatibility of the hardware drivers. If you have the back up disk of your old Win XP, it might be best to re-install your original XP. Or you could try to update drivers for the non-working hardware as this method may also solve the problems.

4. Heinrich

mmm, no sound and no internet connection ? probably some missing drivers.