How can I fix the sound on my Dell Vostro 1720 laptop?

null November 18, 2010

I have a relatively new Dell Vostro 1720 laptop. All of a sudden one day the sound would not work for a webinar and still does not work.

I’ve gone into Media Player and looked at the settings, but could find nothing that looked amiss. When I click on the microphone, it says that volume is at 100%. I don’t know what else to do. Can someone help?

1. Robert

Best way to deal with problems with a dell?

Throw it out, kick yourself in the ass for having purchased something so stupid, then go buy a REAL computer.

2. Fadgen

Awesome! Your second suggestion worked. Thank you so much!!

Hidisconnect the power supply, take out the battery then press and hold the power button for 30 secondsor1) Click the Windows Start Button and in the Start Search box, Type device and Press Enter Key2) Click the Plus Sign next to the Sound, video and game controllers category, Right Click the High Definition Audio Device and Click Uninstall 3) Click OK when confirmation box appears4) Right Click Computer Name at Top of Device Manager and Click Scan for Hardware changesThe High Definition Audio Device should once again show your sound card and everything should be work again.orrun the external mic test in Dell DiagnosticsTo run Diagnostics restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests for 3 or 4 minutes before the Dell Diagnostic starts. These pre-boot tests play some beeps and tones through the system speaker but this doesn't test the rest of the audio hardware, so you still need to let Dell Diagnostics run after the pre-boot tests finish. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the pre-boot assessment test.When Dell Diagnostics opens, select 'custom', then the audio test. This will test your audio system independently of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if they are working correctly or not.Dell Diagnostics will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it, etc. Eventually the internal and external mic tests should come up. If the test passes that means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the software or configuration. If it fails that means there is a hardware problem such as:

mic doesn't work
    mic works but the plug is incompatible with the jack
    the jack is malfunctioning
    the audio chip is malfunctioning