How do I fix the smart failure prediction error on my hard drive?

Douglas Mutay November 1, 2012

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010 Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed on it. Recently, when I start the laptop, it shows the error message:

Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive.

Press F1 to continue.

I did that and the computer boots normaly. I have made a backup of all my files just in case, but now I keep receive this message on start up.

I have used Windows check disk and other tools to check and repair the disk but they don’t see any error on the disk.
Can anyone tell me what might be the reason of this error and if it’s time to replace the hard drive or can I still fix it?

Thanks for your support.

1. Joel Thomas

To turn of the messages you must turn off the smart feature from boot menu

2. Douglas Mutay

I am now trying to find the link that confirm that the question has been resolved but can't see the link anymore. Anyone has an idea on how to do it????

3. Naveen Kumar

don't format it just because of this msg.I think its because of some virus or malware
    an it.........

4. Dimal Chandrasiri

this is bad! don;t disable the message. instead, backup your data and give your laptop to a dell service center. I had the same issue with my laptop and the HDD died!

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks Dimal. I took advantage of this situation and move to a SSD. The message has disappeared and the pc is running sooooooooo fast now!

5. davegeeit

Try Recoveryfix for windows data recovery software to repair corrupt or inaccessible hard drive.

Download the free trial version to get the preview of recoverable data.

you can try to scan hard drive with HDD Regenerator
    it takes sometime depending the size of the hard drive and errors to be corrected. It is shareware, i used it when i had to repair a DELL laptop.

there is also Test and repair HDD problems option in Hard Drive Sentinel
    i am not sure if it is equivalent to HDD Regenerator

• Douglas Mutay

Will give it a try. thanks

7. Boni Oloff

Maybe it is caused by virusess. And i think you need to scan your hardisk, and if it still there, then you must do a reinstall to your system, because it is better to have a clean and stable system right?

• Douglas Mutay

Can a virus make this message appear on the bios even before windows start?

• Boni Oloff

Hmm, sorry, i miss understanding. I think the SMART System is not running well.
        You can see more about SMART here:

If your hard disk is under warranty,then you can ask Dell to replace it.If not,then it's better to keep taking regular backups as besides software fixing,you can't do anything physically to repair it.

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks, you're right. If it's physical so it's a dead way!

The parameters monitored by SMART go far beyond detection of bad sectors or corrupt on-disk control structures used to track usage (where files are stored; date created, modified, or accessed) which is all that the checkdisk utility actually verifies when looking for problems. It could be due to a lot of read errors that are corrected by the drive before it gets to the system, the number of sectors that have had to be reallocated due to the physical sectors on the drive going bad (this happens without the operating system knowing about it and checkdisk doesn't normally check sectors that have already been marked as bad), a high seek error rate, spin retries (disk doesn't spin up in time every time), recalibration retries, write errors, CRC errors, etc. There are a lot more possiblities than that and not all manufacturers use the same counters and none of them use them all.Ultimately, when you get these types of errors, you should follow the instructions given. Perform a backup of all of your important stuff to another device and replace the failing one (or at least have a replacement close at hand for when it does finally bite the dust).