How can I best fix security bugs in Windows XP?

AnK May 9, 2010

I have been using Windows XP for the past 4 years. Last month I tried Windows 7. It provides greater security than XP, but it uses a lot of memory. However, XP just takes 3GB to install. How can I best fix the security bugs in Windows XP?

1. Saikat Basu

Get Service Pack 3. It's a free download. Check out the Windows XP Software Updates page.

AnK,

Windows XP is still being supported by Microsoft, so currently it should be rather safe, given you follow some basic rules.

First of all it's recommendable to install Windows updates as they are being released. You should also install updates for any software you're using on your computer. Finally, in order to guarantee a smooth running system, you should regularly update your hardware drivers.

To protect yourself from security holes in your network, you should run a few security programs. For recommendations regarding security programs, please have a look at the answers in these questions:
    How many security programs do I need?
    Can you recommend a free virus protection program?