How do I fix a “Script invoked to many times error” in a Google spreadsheet?

Anonymous September 8, 2014

In the very good article 7 Ways To Make A Google Map Using Google Spreadsheet Data 7 Ways To Make A Google Map Using Google Spreadsheet Data 7 Ways To Make A Google Map Using Google Spreadsheet Data If you maintain a lot of data in Google spreadsheets, you've probably considered plotting them in a Google Map. Well, you can, but doing this is not quite as obvious as you might expect. Read More Angela Alcorn says:

“Also, don’t try anything smart with the Spreadsheet Mapper, like importing data from another spreadsheet automatically. If you do, it will run the script each time it checks the other spreadsheet for new data. This will result in the following error:
error: Script invoked too many times per second for this Google user account”

Does this also apply to importing data from another sheet in the same spreadsheet? I get the “Script invoked too many times” error all the time and don’t know why. It’s so frustrating…

1. Magnus H

Thanks Angela!

I only use the reference way of importing the data and almost constantly have the “Script invoked too many times” error . What more triggers that? I try to understand what I'm doing wrong to do it the right way but just can't figure this out :( This makes my spreadsheet almost unusable now when I can't update the map and that's really frustrating.

2. Angela A

If you're using ImportData or ImportRange as the function then yes, that will trigger the error. If the data is in the same spreadsheet though, you can just reference the cells simply and it shouldn't cause the problem (by that I mean using ='StaffDetails'!A4 as the way to import the data). Hope this helps!