How can I fix a “no root file system found” error after installing Ubuntu?

radi May 3, 2010

Recently, I got a new Asus laptop with Windows Vista installed on it. I installed Ubuntu using Wubi on it and when it booted for first time I received the following error message:

“No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.”

So how to solve this problem?
Please help me.
Thanks!

I was using the wubi installer to run Ubuntu alongside Windows XP. I get the option to boot either Ubuntu or Windows on startup but end up with the same error msg. Obviously this is an idiotic software bug as the wubi installer is suppose to be taking care of such things automatically. So much for Ubuntu. All they are doing is running people back to windows when this sort of BS occurs.

2. Omkumar19

I got the same problem, anyone please help what to do?

• Noreply

same problem here.. Can't seem to fix it.. And I can't enlarge my other partitions so I can steal a piece from windows vista.. Damn windows, always trouble with that shit, bah.. At least Ubuntu gives the option to delete everything and make a new clean install, damn vista recovery disks don't.. And for some reason, I can't make my partitions be gone again.. I'm stuck with a pre-defined kind of irritating partition system, and some free disk space or unallocated room when I delete the partitions I'm making. Can't enlarge the existing ones, only make them smaller and such.. Bah.. Wish I could install Ubuntu first, but that gives problems if I want a dual boot with windows, so I'm screwed, or does anyone knows a solution for our problem?

• Qweweqe3eq3

found a clean  windows 7 installation disc, install it, find crack from youtube, and enjoy

3. Lisa

How can I by pass the password to reinstall ubuntu? I cannot access the grub menu.

Lisa,

please post this as a new question. Click the green "Ask a Question" button in the top right of this site to open the question form.

I second re-installing. It appears that the bootloader is not working. And I've just found this free downloadable Ubuntu 10.04 getting started manual with a dedicated chapter about troubleshooting: http://ubuntu-manual.org/

You might want to take a peek.

5. jhpot

I'd suggest re-trying the installation process; it sounds like it didn't work.

• Fieldthesources

haha and re-try the installation process again if re-trying the installation process doesn't work