How can I fix or get rid of my Internet Explorer 8 installation?

Malcolm November 9, 2010

I have downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 8. Now only the header outlines are visible and not the toolbar, so it’s completely useless to use. When I go to delete it or re-install I’m told I can’t as I have another version installed. Now I’m using Google Chrome as my browser on a Windows XP system. How can fix or get rid of Internet Explorer? Any ideas please?

1. Sueska

Additional comment - Be sure to get all the windows updates after installing IE 8. Prior to installing the updates, it ran as slow as molasses.

2. Sueska

Try running IE without the addons: When we upgraded to IE 8, it would not open. Tried reinstalling and a variety of other troubleshooting procedures without success. It turned out that all we had to do was to run IE 8 without addons. see http://www.vistaclues.com/disable-add-ons-when-internet-explorer-wont-start/ Once IE opened successfully without addons, the rest was easy - Determine which addon caused the issue. In our case we found a toolbar to be the culprit. From now addons will be the first thing I check.

3. Ryan

I'm going to have to agree with Vineeth Reddy.

I did a complete reinstall of Windows XP about a week back and was doing updates including IE8 with all updates. After the reboot my IE8 install was corrupted and I couldn't use IE8 for anything, even for updates. I did what Vineeth Reddy said and downloaded a new IE8 installation package, and after it was finished and a reboot, everything was back to normal and I could do updates and everything again just fine.

Hi

to uninstal:
    This calls for some key changes but you must try to be possible. The problem is to believe in windows that the program is not present. Prior of the operation do a registry backup and a restore point.

Click on start then run. then type regedit
    scroll to the following reg key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
    then on the right side where says IsInstalled replace the numbre 1 with 0
    Restart window

or try
    To Uninstall IE8 from command line you need to execute below from command prompt: %windir%ie8spuninstspuninst.exe

or download this
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/8/5/F85A9A7F-FD2F-4373-A186-4DEDAFA58C37/MicrosoftFixit50238.msi

5. Vineeth Reddy

disregard the above comment :)
    try getting a alternate setup file n try to reinstall.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/

6. Vineeth Reddy

If you are using windows 7. go to control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on or off ( on the left hand side ). uncheck Internet Explorer 8 and press ok.

7. Nyliferocks

Go to control panel > uninstall programs and on the left side of the uninstall programs screen you see a link for,"add or remove windows installed components."

Click on that link and a small box will pop up with a list of installed programs that are checked and that came installed with windows or unchecked programs that are not installed.

Just look for internet explorer 8 , uncheck the box > click okay and after its finished, restart you computer.