How do I fix problems regarding factory reset of my Windows 8.1 machine?

Maddidawn13 July 1, 2014

I am trying to restart my windows 8.1 Pavilion G4 2235dx and put it back to factory settings. I’ve run into a few problems,
1.) When I try to clear and reinstall windows I get the prompt, “Insert Media. Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files.”
I don’t have a recovery USB or Disc but I’ve read that I can create a recovery disc from a blank CD, which brings us to number two.
2.) When trying to create a recovery disc it doesn’t give me any options to use a Disc for recovery only a flash drive.
I’ve also tried refreshing the PC and total reset is definitely what I want at this point. I honestly don’t care about saving any of the data on it. I just want it to be exactly the way it was when I got it. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

1. Howard B

Does your PC have an on-screen option during the "HP" logo portion to do a "System Recovery" from the hidden recovery partition?

"To access the HP System Recovery, turn on the computer and immediately press the ESC key to display the Startup Menu, and then press the F11 key."

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01443342

Have you contacted HP about recovery discs (a "factory reset" DVD or DVD set)? Windows 8.1 hasn't been around very long (October 2013), so your machine should still be under warranty.

A Rescue Disc would be a bootable CD; a Recovery Disc (set) would be one or more DVDs. I'm surprised the machine didn't ask you for a number of DVDs when it was first started to create the recovery DVD set. If the hard disk fails, there's no way to do a "System Recovery" from the dead HD to a new one.

• Bruce E

I have yet to see a manufacturer configure OOBE so that a user is prompted to create recovery discs during the initial configuration like they have done with previous versions of Windows. It's like they think the the new recovery features in Win8.x solves all of the problems without every considering a hard drive failure at all. Users simply have to know that this should be done and need to know how to accomplish the task without any prompting from the system.

2. Maddidawn13

The only way I could get it to reset itself was to install windows 8.1 enterprise. Its just a trial but it allowed me to refresh everything. I'm happy with that but I don't want to keep the enterprise. It will run out in 90 days but I'm downloading a windows 8.1 setup onto a flash drive from another computer and I'm going to try to go back to my windows 8 "original settings". It's already looking better.
    The setup accepted my key the only problem I'm having is that it stopped after everything was downloaded and told me there is a connection problem. It gives me the option to go back to where I type in my key or to finish and if I finish it just goes away without giving me further prompts. The modems fine. This Satan of a thing I call a laptop can connect fine. It is just the PC downloading the windows 8.1 setup and it's having no problem going online. I have wifi everywhere. I understand connection problems happen, but It has been over an hour and nothing has changed. I feel like its just messing with me. I'm going to try to re-download it.
    For now, do you guys have any suggestions? because my brains about squeezed out.

you mean that the serial was accepted? if you have connection problems then maybe it is driver problem, you have to go to HP site and download Pavilion G4 2235dx network driver for Windows 8

3. Madison

The laptop is 8.1 which means my product key is embedded in the BIOS instead of on a sticker. I used a program to extract it so I could use it to download windows 8 or 8.1 and it failed both times telling me this product key didn't work to check it and try again. I can't completely reset it because it needs start up or recovery. I can't get start up or recovery because I have to have the code embedded into my computer and it won't accept the one the system tells me it has. I've been working with this computer for almost a week and I'm very frustrated. Any other suggestions?

From a different computer, download the Windows 8.1 ISO as per your requirement : 32bit or 64 bit, Professional or Enterprise, etc. After downloading, burn as a ISO image to a DVD and boot from it. I hope you have your Win8.1 serial key with you. If it came pre-installed in your lappy, the sticker with the serial key should be somewhere on your lappy, probably at the backside of it. Follw the instruction here : http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2014/03/19/windows-8-1-tips-how-to-download-the-windows-8-1-pro-iso.aspx

• Bruce E

To help reduce piracy, MS does not use stickers for Product Codes with Windows 8.x. The product/activation codes are embedded in the UEFI BIOS.