How can I fix a problem with .lnk / win32 files on Windows XP?
Question by Steph /

All my files turned to .lnk. As I tried to fix it myself I managed to change them all to win32, which won’t open anything but Word. I need to recover my old files but I am not connected to the internet on that computer.

Can you help? I’m on Windows XP. I read some other choices (Start / Control Panel / Programs …), but the rest of the info provided wasn’t in my system. HELP! :(

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Mark

This is what I did after going round and round trying to find the answer to my .lnk problem (changing all my shortcut and programs extensions to .lnk)…

1) Start Menu
    2) My Computer
    3) Tools
    4) Folder Options
    5) File Types
    6) Click New Button
    7) File Extension Box = LNK
    8) Click Advanced Tab… In Associated File Type Box = Shortcut
    9) Click OK

What happen right-a-way all of my Icons changed back to normal and all my programs
    started working. I did a reboot and everything is still working.

I hope this helps.

• Deepak

Hi Guys,
    I am facing .ink virus problem in my PC (window 7). This happen when i open a downloaded file in VLC by chossing open with option.All installed icons changes to VLC icon. When i click one by one on icons it opens with VLC icon showing extension.All programs in start window changes to VLC.I Scan the system with my antivirus but no affect. Now after 6-8 hours when i start my pc , it goes to welcome window but after that it automatically shut happens 3 -4 times.Now i am running my system in safe & networking mode. Pls provide me a solution for this problem ..i will highly thkful to u guys. Waiting for reply

Thanks & Regards,
    Deepak Singh

Hey Deepak,

OK I see your problem has been fixed on another thread.

Glad we could help. Come back often :)

OK, I see this problem was fixed by a solution recommended here

Glad we could help, come back often :)

• Openrule

I need help too

did you try the fix suggested by Aibek, the very first comment in this long list?

• __UN__

Tools – Folder Options – View – unhide this option “Hide protected opreating system files (Recommended)”

• __UN__

U will be able to see your Files…copy and paste whatever you want from your files to another drive and then..format that drive.

make sure that you clean the files before you copy them. :) good luck

• cannot delete file

Hi I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Aol for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

• steph

I’m so tired. I will try the latest test tomorrow & advise. Thank you so much & wish me luck…. btw – no disk :( lost it

Reboot to safe mode and see if you can access to your programs, meanwhile in safe mode you can clean your pc with regcleaners and try using the archive files to open them.

Well you can try to open it in another pc then add it to usb key and then try it again on your pc.
    Alternatively you can reboot on windows xp cd and try the repair function.

Broken EXE Association: You can make the regkey yourself

WAssociate 3.4.4

how To Change file associations In Windows Xp

• Steph

i cant even run a repair from ANY link. Am I just screwed? I want to aleast pull my iTunes off …. HELP! ANYONE!!

• Yussof

i had same problem.Thank u very much fidelis…

Hello, the most important thing you can is to make sure you scan your system for malware. Run a complete scan with your antivirus and also make sure you download malwarebytes, update it and run a full scan. Most times when system get infected they show symptoms like the ones you are having. Once the infection is taken care of, either the system goes back to normal or it is easier to fix file extensions. Hope it helps.

• Steph

i cant even do that. All my files are either .ink or .exe, looks to me like the shortcut has disappeared. Nothing is working. The above links did nothing either :(