How can fix overheating issues with a Compaq laptop?
Question by sasi /

My laptop shuts down itself when using high end applications or games. By using software I got to know that it was due to overheating of my CPU. I’m not capable of opening my laptop for cleaning. Sometimes I hear continuous beep sounds. When I start my laptop immediately after shutdown by itself, it shows a bluescreen error.

I was thinking of getting a Belkin coolpad, hoping that would fix prob.Is there anything I can do to fix it? Please help me!

You can try to update drivers and also graphic driver, or uninstal then instal new ones. Try to play games on a smaller resolution.

Also try to repair windows or reinstal a new fresh one.

if you have nvidia card then try nhancer
    nHancer is the tool that empowers both experts and inexperienced users to fully utilize the possibilities of the graphic card.

Hello, most problems with laptop overheating are due to fans clogged with dust. But, If after cleaning the dust on your laptop, it still keeps getting hot, you might want to disassemble your laptop and make sure to replace the thermal paste. The thermal paste is a compound that helps with thermal dissipation and therefore keeps the the CPU cool. The thermal paste is applied in between the CPU and the cooler fan. The thermal paste cracks with time, specially if your laptop overheats a lot and the paste used is not the best quality. The following is a link explaining thermal paste and how to apply it:

There are many tutorials about how to disassemble a laptop online. This is one of them:

How to disassemble Toshiba laptops:

How to disassemble Sony laptops:

How to disassemble Acer laptops:

How to disassemble HP laptops:

How to disassemble Compact laptops:

How to disassemble Apple laptops:

How to disassemble Fujitsu laptops:

I wrote an article on that subject: How To Fix An Overheating Laptop

Why can you not open the laptop for cleaning? Are you worried about its warranty?

You can still clean the fans indirectly, without opening the laptop. Get a can of compressed air or a vacuum cleaner. Make sure you understand how the air flows through your laptop, i.e. where it is sucked in and where is is blown out. Turn off the laptop, disconnect from a/c power and battery. With the canned air, blow into the slots where air is sucked in. Or vacuum the slots where air is blown out. This should get rid of excess dust. However, opening the laptop and manually cleaning the CPU fan is much more effective and possibly safer as you can see what you’re doing.

Apart from getting a laptop cooler (good idea!) you can also optimize how many programs are running the background and eating up RAM and CPU power. Check out my Windows on Speed guide for details.

Please let us know whether you’re able to fix your laptop and what gave the best results. Thank you!