How can I fix my motherboard’s battery problem?

Susendeep Dutta July 30, 2010

I’m using ASrock motherboard, 96 MB Intel graphics card, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Intel Pentium D Dual core processor.

My computer is 3 years old. For a few days I see that whenever I boot my PC it says date and time not set press F1 to load default values to continue or press F2, which brings me to BIOS.

When I called my PC shop they said that I have to replace my motherboard, RAM, HDD, rocessor and whole CPU. What should be done to troubleshoot this?

1. Lisa

I am having the same problem. I am not computer hardware savy but I can follow step by step instructions. I have replaced my battery. Still got the same error. I opened it up again. Made sure that battery was firmly in place. I reset the CMOS jumper. I flashed my BIOS with the BIOS provided by my manufacturer. I do not know what else to do. I am still getting the Voltage error message push F1 F2 etc. Plz help.

Lisa,

since your problem is slightly different (you tried to replace the CMOS battery and it didn't help), I recommend that you submit a new question.

2. Sushmitha Ravella

my lap top is not getting started all its flash lights are on but no display is shown.I removed the battery and connected it to an AC source,but of no use.Do i need to raplace the mother board???

Sushmitha,

I recommend that you ask a new question.

i hav a problem in my cmos battery ciruit,,,can anybody tell how can i solve it

• Susendeep Dutta

You need to replace your motherboard as repairing it will not last long.

4. Susendeep Dutta

My computer automatically restarts when I work with openoffice,chrome,firefox and thunderbird together.I also have some viruses which always gets blocked by avast 5 free edition when connecting to internet.I don't know which is the cause of frequent restart of my pc.If it has to do something with my battery?Anyone suggest some solution.

Well, you say it yourself, you have viruses. Sounds like your computer is malware infected, which could well be the cause of the frequent restarts.

Scan your computer with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy and try to remove the viruses and malware for good.

If all else fails, make a backup of your data (without the malware) and reinstall your operating system.

• Srinivas G

You are facing two 'different' problems:

1) Your CMOS battery failed. [Replace it as mentioned above, and you're good to go.]

2) Your system is Malware infested. [Scan and clean your computer as mentioned by Tina, or do a re-install. I'd recommend you do BOTH! Really. First scan "All the partitions" on your hard drive and remove the malware. This will prevent malware hidden on the other partitions from borking your new install. Then perform a fresh install on your OS partition to solve the other problems. Make sure the first thing you do after that is 'install a decent antivirus'. Good Luck.]

Hi Susendeep,

Try replacing the batter and let us know if fixes the issue.

Aibek

6. Susendeep Dutta

Thanks firevas and Lpi Rcmp Grc for suggestions.I called my pc shop but they said that they don't have battery.

• Srinivas G

Hmmm, that's strange. But anyhow, try getting it from another store. Because, you need to change that to solve your problem. There's absolutely no need for replacing the motherboard or the other components of your system, unless there is something seriously wrong with them.

7. Lpi Rcmp Grc

I had the same problem. The fix was to replace the CMOS battery. A new one costs pennies from the dollar store. Just make certain you get the right battery type and orient it the same way on the motherboard as the old one.

8. Srinivas G

Are you able to boot into your OS after pressing F1? As far as I know, it's just a problem with your CMOS battery. Just replace that and it should be solved. A CMOS battery costs very less; just go to a PC shop and purchase one. Then follow the steps mentioned here (http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles...) to replace it. It's actually so easy that you may even do it all by yourself within a couple of minutes, without even looking at that guide! Good Luck. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help. :))