How can I fix my Mighty Mouse, which won’t scroll up anymore?

Richard Woodchopper May 14, 2010

I have the Mighty Mouse and love it. It’s not the wireless version, but the one with the tail connected to the keyboard. Recently, its ball has developed an adversity to upward mobility. That is, I can scroll left, right, down. But not up. I have tried breath control (filling the interior with the moisture of my breath), cleaning with alcohol, throwing into the river, driving over it with my Patton tank. Nothing works.

Question: do I go out and buy another, or is there some way to undo this dilemma?

Hey Richard

Let us know if the above advice from Jeffry (aka thurana) helped.

Aibek

I use the tailed Mighty Mouse and encountered similar problem few times. It's definitely dirt but I would not recommend dissecting it (sorry Taty :) ) as this mouse is different with trackball mouse which you can easily open - clean - close.

The trick to clean the trackball is by holding the mouse with the trackball at the bottom (the light facing you at the top), then you press and rub the trackball using soft cloth (like the one you use to clean eyeglasses). I always apply electronic cleaning liquid to the cloth before rubbing the trackball.

And the scrolling always goes back to normal.

Good luck.

• Oron Joffe

I second that. Tryping to open an Apple mouse is almost certain to ruin it.

3. Taty

Hi Richard, I haven't had a Mighty Mouse ( I'm primarily a pc user) but usually, it's due to some dirt accumulated on one of the rotating parts where the ball rests that prevents it from having enough friction to move it. Most of the time you can just run the little cap where the ball rests, open it and clean the inside parts to remove the dust from those parts. Try and see if it works.