How can I fix a microSD card that is not being read or recognized by phones or computers?

Anthony Smith June 18, 2011

I have a 16 GB class 4 SD card that came with my DroidX smartphone. I was resetting the phone and in fear of my data on the card being lost, I pulled it. Not during boot, but the phone was on.

Now the card is not noticed at all by any Android smartphones or computers. But my Blackberry Curve sees the card and says there’s a problem and it can’t read the card.

Is there anything I can do to make this 16 GB card useable again?

1. anandhakrishnan

my transcend micro sd hc 8gb card has not formated by my pc
    1)when i try to format it it shows "windows was unable to complete format"
    2)i can't able to open my files
    3) i dont know what happen in my sd card

2. Hamza

I Have A 4GB Micro sd memory card but whenever i insert it in my nokia c1 and download any thing in it says not for read only memory cards please help me if any one knows the solution please email me at mhamza944@gmail.com Thanks!

3. Leandra

My pc reads my memory card but my phone does not. I have repaired and formatted my memory card but still no luck... Please help me fix this problem....

• Susendeep Dutta

You need to format your card in your phone as it creates compatibility issues when formatting in PC.

4. ian

my phone isnt even acnowledging a sd card but its there can someone help

• Susendeep Dutta

Try formatting it in PC and then formatting it in your phone so as to make it detect in your phone.

5. naman

I have just brought a 4 GB SD card of sandisk which i tried to format but could not format it and got an message as " Please insert the disk into drive F:"

Can any body please help me out in fixing this problem

a. Click Start and go to Control Panel.
      b. Click Administrative Tools and then click Computer Management
      c. When that window opens you can click on Disk Management and find the device in the drive viewer.
      d. Then you can right click on the drive and select Format and see if using this utility from the Disk Management helps resolve your issue.

SD formatter
      https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

• adrian

ha14 it did not work

How To Fix "Please Insert a Disk into Drive" Error In Windows -

http://www.troublefixers.com/how-to-fix-please-insert-a-disk-into-drive-error-in-windows/

6. michael

hey someon help me
    how to fix a corrupted micro sd card which is not read by the computer or cellphone

7. LIBRA

pls help me guys. i reformatted my 32GB micro sdhc for my SG tab, then now it was blank memory/unsupported files... how can i fix it??

Have you formatted your card in right format.You must format your card within the tablet itself so as to prevent any such compaitibilty issues.

8. Mckeeisme

As soon as that SD hit the blackberry it was over rim does crazy stuff with there phones but a quick format will fix it up

Remember Droid SD card stays in Droid
    And blackberry SD card stays in blackberry

9. Rajr42

my system is not showing my m2 memory card . showing a ialog box please insert a disk in to drive , iam using usb adapter 

10. jurij

try re formatting it

11. Alavu2010

I HAVE ONE MEMORY CARD AND IT IS NOT RECOGNISED OR INITIALISED WHEN CONNECTED TO PC.HOW CAN ISOLVE IT?

12. jim

ok when my phone is connected to the pc it shows to scan and when it scans it doesnt fix the problems bt tells me to back up hard drive files, also when i finally get to the folders and try to add a new file it stops loading it stops responding and freezes and doesnt load the file i need help fixing this problem please . . .

Anthony,

were you able to fix your microSD card or read it to backup your data? If yes, how did you do it?

14. Ous

hi there... My Micro SD creates password for itself. When I put in the phone it asked for password and when I removed it and put inside my computer I saw: PLEASE  INSERT A DISK in the driver.

how can i fix that problem... help if anyone know it send it to my email or post here. My email: ousjallow18@hotmail.co.uk

Ous,

since this is a different scenario from the question posted above, I recommend that you submit a new question.

• Prud Superales

Tina, Ous question is relative to the main question. 
        How can I fix a microSD card that is not being read or recognized by phones or computers? When I check it on my phone it says that the MicroSD has a password. I tried using an explorer software on my phone but then it would not detect microsd card as well. I tried removing it from my phone and using it in a card reader but it was not recognized by the computer. PLEASE  INSERT A DISK in the driver.  PLease help.. Ous did not repost...

Prud, 

I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions than the ones posted above and you are unlikely to receive more/new suggestions in this comment thread.

The thing is, at some point hardware is simply broken and can not be fixed.

You may still be able to have the data recovered by professional services. However, that is quite expensive.

• Prud

Thanks Tina, I really appreciate it. I've already come to terms with the fact that the info is lost. It's just that this is a very common problem with microSD cards and it's very difficult to find solutions online. This was the only thread that I could find with hours of web-crawling with different keywords. Again, Thanks for your quick reply. You may want to add email notification to this site. I honestly forgot about making this post. I just ended up googling myself and this came up.

Prud,

the problem of email notifications is something we're working on and I know it's an unfortunate situation right now.

We have had some serious issues with comment notifications and decided not to turn them on again until these issues are fixed.

Click Start and then Run. Type cmd and then click OK. Type the following:

chkdsk [sd card drive letter] /r
    this will Scan for and attempt Recovery of bad sectorsor

chkdsk [sd card drive letter] /f
    this will Automatically Fix file system errors on the disk
    http://ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

• Vikram

Dear ha14,

Thanks a lot. The issue of question mark is resolved. I followed the same way as stated by you.....

Regards
      Vikram

16. Nikunj gupta

VIA COMPUTER
    U can use Windows Default Disk Checker OR
    TUNEUP Utilites Disk Checker !

Hello, you could try reformatting the card with software made specially for formatting sd cards such as the following:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Once reformatted, insert the card in your phone and hopefully It will be fixed.

Another program that provides results if Flash format.  It is a paid program but you can get a trial:

http://www.cnetx.com/format/