How can I fix an .lnk file association if the registry fix doesn’t work?

William Kwak September 12, 2011

I have a problem with my file associations. After I used Advanced Care 4 (Registry fixer) all my files turned into .lnk. And when I first tried opening up any program, it asked me what program I wanted to associate with it, so I set it to Starcraft 2 because that was the program I was trying to open up. After that, all my files/programs I try to open, open up Starcraft 2. They are all .lnk files and I have tried two methods to fix it.

I followed Aibek’s two methods which is to do it manually by going to control panel and changing the .lnk file association, the 2nd method was by going to http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip

Unfortunately, those two processes did not work. Then I unzipped the program and used to lnk fix for Vista, nothing really happened. I still have the same problem and I am unable to download anything to fix my problem because every folder/file I try to open, opens up Starcraft 2.

If there is any solution I would truly appreciate your help. As a last resort, I will try to reformat my computer but it is my first time doing it so if someone could help me out with that as well, that would be great.

Thank You!!

1. Beverly

how cen i open my inkfiles wene thay do not open

• Rich

I had the same question. lnkfix_vista can not be opened in the computer which has the problem

2. Jpaintballer68

every icon on my desktop is a starcraft 2 map editor file icon and they all open starcraft 2 map editor how do i fix this ???? please help urgent

3. Jpaintballer68

J,

if you are having this issue on your desktop computer running Windows Vista or Windows 7, then you should try the registry fix (click here to download). For details please see the second option in reply to this question.

Hi William,

Are you still having issues with .lnk file associations? Didi you try the above suggestions recommended by hal4? Let us know.

Aibek

Could you activate windows restore point, go to run and type rstrui or rstrui.exe and hit enter then follow the screen.

Is it the same problem in safe mode, if not you can boot to safe mode and open Advanced Care 4 and use the restore point within the soft.

or there is this utility, see if you can run it on safe mode
    http://www.xp-smoker.com/refreshpc.html

or also in safe mode
    - Go to Start -> "Control Panel" -> Click on Porgrams
    - Click on "Default Programs"
    - Click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." to open the "Set Associations" menu.
    - Scroll through the list of extensions to locate the .lnk file extension. The listing will show the description and the current default program associated with it.
    - Click on the extension and then click on "Change Program."
    - Select the program you would like to open *.lnk file types.
    - Click on OK.

then if do not work you will need hirens booot cd and there is a utility named
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd