How should I fix my laptop’s keyboard if two keys broke off?

Juan Carlos Espinosa Agudelo August 15, 2012

I own a HP 620 laptop and was wondering if it would be possible to get individual keyboard keys, because my Enter key and a key to lower the volume have come off.

I’ve searched online for some stores that could, but I generally end up with this info:

1.  I can’t obtain (or at least, I haven’t found) the exact keys.
  2. If I want, I can send it to get repaired, but they will change the entire keyboard.

The second would fix my problem, but I have a hard time accepting to fix (and pay for) an entire keyboard, when just two of the keys don’t work. Especially if I can still use the keys, even though the keys aren’t present, I can still press where it used to be and it works.

So, is there a way to obtain and place the individual keys or should I just search for a service that could fix it for a fee?

Thank you in advance.

1. kristof

Single laptop keys can be bought on http://www.singlelaptopkeys.com

2. Oron

I've had luck in the past buying individual keys on eBay. Of course, you may not be so lucky, but it's worth a try!

3. Juan Carlos Espinosa Agudelo

Thanks for answering my question!

Ferdinan:
    That sounds like an amazing deal, I should check my local stores some more.

Erlis:
    As I said to Ferdinan, I should check my local stores a bit more(and mainly ask).

Dalsan:
    Thanks for the site! If I can't find it at any store that's closeby, I'll definitely check that out :)

Paul:
    That idea is amazing, sadly it won't work for me, since only the Backspace and Shift keys have the same size as my Enter key.

Once again, thanks to you all for your answers, this has been great help! :)

4. Paul Pruitt

Find two keys you never use. Move them to where your keys are missing. Buy a set of keyboard stickers and put them over your now wrongly labeled keys.

Here are the keyboard stickers sold on Amazon: http://amzn.to/Pp6uBI

They are very cheap.

5. Erlis Dhima

My friend laptop keyboard missed 2-3 keys, and they replaced all the keyboard!
    The problem lies like this:
    If you have a problem with some buttons circuits, probably it can't be fixed, and the whole keyboard must be replaced sometimes...
    As you said, this is not your problem..
    The other thing is, that if you miss some keys, most of the repair shops, replace those keys only (so ask for one).
    And if you can't find one, then find an old keyboard, and take it from there, and try to replace them by yourself!
    If nothing of this works for you, then, replace all your keyboard! (It will be the only way left...)

6. ferdinan Sitohang

if you bring it to a computer store which sell and repair HP then they can fix it for you, of course you must pay for it, but it will not cost a lot, since it is not a major/big problem which affect the entire of your computer. 1 week ago i fixed my laptop which lost one of its key and i just pay only $2.