How can I fix my laptop screen?

Caroline September 12, 2012

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61. It used to occasionally have a slightly shaky/blinky screen. Just this week the screen isn’t working at all. I turn on my laptop and can hear it running, but the screen stays completely black. What’s wrong with it? Thanks in advance!

1. John Marmo

I have a screen that is half visible on a Compac 461 model. I have read that it might be the CPU chip. Any ideas on that one. I am a total dunder head when it come to computers so spoon feed me please. Cheers John

2. Dave Rimmer

Hi Caroline.
    Have you got this sorted, have you followed what others have posted, if the screen is still not working you may need to replace it, go to you tube and search for replacing laptop screen, it is not hard to do I did my daughters.

3. Dimal Chandrasiri

looks like the ribbon that connects your screen might have broken. just take it to a service center and ask them. don't open it your self unless you are very familiar with the disassemble and reassemble process.

4. Noah Brisson

It really depends on how savvy you are with computers. If you know your way around the easiest thing would be to connect an external display(If you have access to one) And try and see if that will work. If that also doesn't work it is probably not your screen. The most likely thing in that case is that your Graphics card is dead... In which case it is pretty easy to replace yourself. If it is the screen, then it is a little more complicated to replace or fix yourself. Not super difficult but more than a graphics card...

5. kenny brannan

Intel GMA cards have similiar problems to some nVidia cards that as they are soldered on to motherboard with lead free solder the joints eventually crack losing the screen display. Best sollution is to check ebay for some one that does reballing and send off to them average cost is £50 in the UK

Would highly recommend not to try anything yourself and kindly take it to HP Care in your city.

7. Erlis Dhima

It may be from different factors, like graphics card problem, screen circuit problem, and many others..
    I suggest check your GPU, and if the problem it's not there, see if the problem is in the screen as you though from the beginning... But you can't repair a screen! Just replace it! (Also, don't try opening the screen, since it has high electricity, even if it has time not connected to the power supply!)

If you are comfortable with opening up your laptop,you can see whether the GPU chip or any other parts nearby has burned out or check for capacitors on motherboard for leakage.

9. Ahmed Khalil

Sorry for that but it may be not screen issue at all it may be problem in the VGA card, hope it is not built in.

you need to check with tech. to see if you have any hardware problem

• Nicky Angel

seems likely to me

• Usman Mubashir

go for it

10. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

if u said it cannot show anything at all, then probably t broken and need to replace.. but if u happen like jack cola said, u need to do as he said and to fix the monitor if u can view it after done the step jack give, give this program a try, i dont know since i not used it,

You might have turned your display off to show on an external source. Try pressing your FN key, and look for a symbol that looks like a monitor. Press it a few times and the source should toggle.

Does the screen show at all during boot, or does it turn off when Windows starts? This may help a little

• Noblejoker

When you cold boot (start from scratch) you would usually have the boot information on screen
      If this is showing it might be as simple as Jack suggested
      You could also try plugging in an external monitor and seeing if it displays
      If no details showing on boot or via external then I suspect you have a broken screen issue
      Likely the wires connecting the screen to the main body of the laptop have come loose or similar
      It may be possible to fix by removing the screen surround and finding the wires and checking they are all connected properly. Not as hard as it sounds
      This service guide might help
      If the damage is more significant than just loose wires then it's time for a new machine I'm afraid :(

• Nikhil Gupta

this function only runs when ur os system starts...
      in above ? users screen turns black...