How can I fix the inverter chip on a MacBook aluminum body from late 2008?

phil endre August 13, 2012

My MacBook’s screen flickers non stop, so I believe the inverter chip needs to be replaced. I was wondering because I have a white MacBook at my disposal, if I can just swap over the powerboard keyboard trackpad and all that to the white one from my aluminum unibody. My unibody is a late 2008 and the white one is a late 2006 I believe. Or if I can just use the inverter chip on the white one in my MacBook that still works except for the inverter chip.

1. Stephanie Guertin

And no, the parts are NOT swappable between anything aluminum and anything white. (Except hard drives and the like, obviously). Apple's tolerances are way too tight to do anything like that.

That is true ~ but if you look at the software prices of Apple products it is obvious they make money with hardware, especially those overprices spare parts.

2. Stephanie Guertin

While it is theoretically possible to peel the glass off these to get to the screws holding the display, it is not easy. You'll need a heat gun (a hair dryer will not cut it - it doesn't get hot enough for this glue) and gently, gently, peel the glass up. Dental tools will help, but you'll probably have to kiss that little rubber gasket goodbye, at least as a smooth and pretty thing. Start on a short side, unstick the whole side, and try to lever it up as close to flat as possible.
    From there it's easy, but be careful not to damage the glue, or you'll never get it back on.

The white (polycarbonat) unibody MacBooks were released after the aluminum unibody. The aluminum was late 2008, the polycarbonat was late 2009 till mid 2010.

Either way, both devices have full display assemblies and I doubt one can non-destructively get hold of the inverter.

If your white MacBook is an older non-unibody model the LCD inverter simply isn't compatible with the newer LED backlit display in addition to the full-assembly problem.