How can I fix a hard drive that no longer appears in the BIOS or in Windows?
Question by Shamsan /

I a have Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li2727 with a Western Digital hard drive.

HDD: WD1600BEVT – 22zct0
Parameters: LBA 312581808
Capacity: 160 GB

The hard drive does not appear in BIOS or Windows environment.

I was working on another faulty HDD using Hiren’s utility (disk edit) and by mistake deleted the first sectors of the laptop original hard drive. When I returned to open the laptop, there was no response.

I think the HDD no longer has ID information. So the laptop BIOS can not see the HDD, neither Windows or the Utility programs.

How can I fix this?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Shamsan2002

mike and ha14
    thank you for your answers ..
    let me add same info.
    1- open laptop with this hdd delay while search for system file and replay “operating system not found”.
    2- with hiren’s ver 10.0 hdd will appear because “hdd is sata type” , I can’t access to hdd .
    3- I can’t see it but I make booting from cd and connect my hdd through USB by sata to usb adapter so I can see it .
    thanks for your help mike .
    1- I do all your 4 steps I can see it by sata to usb adaptor .
    2-I use disk edit program and do manually all sectors 00 and save it to hdd but no hope.
    3- with win 7 I try to repair MBR but no hope.
    I think I have delete the media of the hdd. I do it before in year 1992 with peter norton disk editor and I remember that there is a table for each hdd type of media No of tracks no. of sectors … etc and i change it with assembly language or manually by white it to hdd , but now my mind has been corrupted .
    thanks for your help ha14 .
    thanks to all of you …

1. remove the hd from ur pc
    2. change jumper from master into slave
    3. insert your hd now in a friend’s pc or in an another pc
    4. See if you will be able to read all data in your hd

or try bootable CD, such a s Knoppix, or add it to a linux or mac system and see if you can access to the hard drive?

The first sector is the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the disk this is the sector that the BIOS reads in and starts when the machine is first booted. The Master Boot Record contains a small program that reads the partition table, checks which partition is active (that is, marked bootable), and reads the first sector of that partition, the partition’s boot sector (the MBR is also a boot sector, but it has a special status and therefore a special name). This boot sector contains another small program that reads the first part of the operating system stored on that partition (assuming it is bootable), and then starts it.

Partition Table Doctor for recovering/restoring

try spinrite

Last solution you will need a prof to recover datas from your hard drive.

• Shamsan2002

hi ha14
      thank you for your help
      I do these steps :
      1- remove HDD from laptop.
      2- HDD is sata type and there is no jumpers in back side of it > ALL OPEN <
      3- I use my friends pc but by using SATA to USB adapter , boot with hiren's cd I HDD with zero capacity and not all hdd utilities program I can see hdd only one program can see HDD.
      in year 1992 I uses disk edit (peter norton) to edit disks manually or by assembly language to change or fix (media of hdd , no. of tracks , no. of sectors …. etc according to the data in hdd sheet , but now I am old and my mind Corrupted.
      I think the problem is i delete all these data .
      thank you for your help …

I have a few questions to get better understanding about what went wrong:

1. When you turn your laptop on does it say something like “operating system not found”?

2. When you boot with the Hiren’s Disk does your “missing hard disk” show up anywere?

3. Did you actually went into the laptops BIOS to see if the drive is recognized/missing?

• Shamsan2002

hi mike
      thank you for your help
      my ans:
      1- my laptop delay and then search through drivers and white “operating system not found’
      2- with hiren’s ver 10.0 I can see my hdd with zero capacity. note:laptop without any Hdd ,boot from cd , and connect bad HDD with sata to USB adapter .
      3- laptop BIOS can not see my HDD .