How can I fix a hard drive detect failure on a Dell Inspiron?
Question by Brandi Robinson /

My Dell Inspiron says hard drive detect failure, so back it up.

I did back it up. and it keeps saying this. I did a disk doctor scan-here’s what the results are: HELP ME GOD!

C:\ Volume Label: OS, File System: NTFS

Volume label is OS.
Disk Doctor is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)…
134848 file records processed.
File verification completed.
675 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
50 reparse records processed.
Disk Doctor is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)…
Index entry WmiApRpl in index $I30 of file 6347 is incorrect.
Index entry SECURITY in index $I30 of file 6675 is incorrect.
Index entry SECURITY.OLD in index $I30 of file 6675 is incorrect.
Index entry SOFTWARE in index $I30 of file 6675 is incorrect.
Index entry SOFTWARE.OLD in index $I30 of file 6675 is incorrect.
Index entry WmiApRpl.ini in index $I30 of file 7683 is incorrect.
Index entry {0eca4bdc-9ee8-11df-96da-0023ae0930ff}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} in index $I30 of file 99619 is incorrect.
Index entry {0ECA4~1 in index $I30 of file 99619 is incorrect.
176928 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Errors found. Disk Doctor cannot continue in read-only mode.

WHAT DO I DO?!!?!!?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• Guest

I need help.  Doesn’t work.

Hey Brandi

Did you find the above tips helpful when dealing with your problem? Did you manage to fix it? Let us know…

Aibek

• Jesse_leonard

I would run the Dell diags on the system to see if the HD is failing. If it comes back as failed you should replace the drive. If you are within your warranty period contact Dell Support at 1-800-624-9896. Here is information on running the Dell Diags on the system.

Dell includes a series of tests for a system’s hardware into the BIOS called the PSA+ Diagnostics. You can run these tests even if the system lacks any media (hard drive, CD drive, etc.). To launch the PSA+ Diagnostics on this system, perform one of the following actions:

Hold down the key while pressing the power button.
    Turn on the system, press at the initial Dell™ logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.
    Disconnect the AC power and remove the battery. While holding down the power button, insert the AC connector into the back of the system. The system then starts and the message Diagnostic boot selected displays. The system then launches the PSA+ Diagnostics.
    The version of PSA+ Diagnostics on this system is text based, not GUI based. Because the text-based interface was chosen, all systems going forward will include the PSA+ Diagnostics instead of reverting to the older PSA version. The GUI interface took too much room in the available BIOS space.

I second check the connections, and depending on the type of hard drive you may want to try to replace the cable just to be sure that the cable isn’t bad. I’ve had IDE ribbon cables fail before. If that doesn’t work it may be time to replace the hard drive.

• Josh Fox

What model of Inspiron is this?

First thing I would try is reseating the hard drive by removing it and putting it back in ensuring that the connection is snug.

If this does not fix it, it could be a physically damaged disk platter, which will require a replacement. That’s probably why it told you to back it up, because it didn’t expect it to last much longer.

Just for the record, exactly 2/3 of the Inspiron 1525s that I’ve encountered (among family, friends, and people I’ve worked with) have had physical hard drive failures within the first 18 months. However, the 1501 series is backwards of that at 1/3.