How do I fix Gmail and/or revert back to the “standard” view?

J. Anthony Carter December 29, 2011

I was using Gmail occasionally in what I now know was the “standard” view. One day, without my involvement, it wouldn’t load. I finally clicked on the HTML setting link at the bottom of the unloading page to get my email. I can access it normally on my Chrome browser but not on my Firefox. I upgraded Firefox to 9.0.1 with no change for the better.

I also recently started getting a message to install a voice plugin whenever I tried to make a VOiP call from the chat area on GMail. I downloaded and “installed” it 12 or 13 times trying different ways to get it to work once the first two or three times didn’t wipe out the “install voice plugin” message.

I say “installed” because it only showed a progress bar on a few occasions. other times there was only a blip. But no matter what happened after clicking on the install program, I never saw any result or was allowed to make VOiP calls. The “install” message is still there. I’m running Vista x86

1. Nonna

NOT HAPPY WITH GMAIL...cant use this format! cannot see names I am forwarding to

Were you able to make calls from the same pc before the problem occurred ?
    Did it start when new look of gmail was introduced ?l

If view is the problem,  what jeff and fidelis said will work.
    but you will have to do it from chrome in the standard view, basic html view will not give you that option to revert to old look I guess.

Installation of plug-ins is almost automatic, you just have to press next/accept.
    on which step it gets stopped ?
    Try the process after pausing/disabling antivirus or firewall.

try to work with the new interface since after sometime the theme will be all for one and one for all.

Hello, where did you download the voice plugin from?  If you want to enable any of the plugins from google, you have to go into settings and pick the Labs tab.  Here is what you do:

-- open gmail
    -- on top right hand, click on wheel
    -- select settings
    -- on menu, click on Labs tab
    -- scroll down till you find the plugin you need
    -- click on enable option
    -- scroll down untill you reach bottom of page and click on save changes
    -- If it asks to restart gmail, do so, if not the new plugin should be working.

You can also verify your chat settings by doing the following:

-- open gmail
    -- click on wheel
    -- select settings
    -- on menu, click on Chat tab
    -- find Voice and video chat header
    -- make sure that your camera, microphone, speakers, are setup ok
    -- expand the verify your settings on top of your choices
    -- you should see the page expand and show the feed for video camera, see a mic meter to check that you are using right input device and you can also play a test sound. 
    -- if all the settings are correct and you pass the testing, you can save your setting at bottom of screen.

With regards to standars view, you can try two different ways:

First way would be by doing the following:

-- open gmail
    -- click on wheel on top right
    -- click on Revert to old look temporarily
    -- your theme will revert to clasic/old look
    -- there will be the option at the bottom of your screen to switch to new look.  Click on it, and a box will pop up giving you two options:  go back to new look or continue old look.
    -- click on continue old look

Another option, that you could try is changing the theme:

-- open gmail
    -- click on wheel on top right
    -- select settings
    -- on menu, click on Themes tab
    -- scroll down till you reach the Classic themes
    -- select one classic theme by click on it
    -- gmail should change to this theme.

While logged into Gmail, click on the options button in the top right (screenshot) then select "Revert to old look temporarily". 

You will only be able to use the old look for so long, as Google will be forcing everybody to use the new theme.