How can I fix a failed installation of Internet Explorer 9?

Speed Chapman April 11, 2011

Internet Explorer 9 did not completely install. I have tried to re-install. I get a message newer version installed. IE9 doesn’t show up in the programs & features so I can’t uninstall.

I have IE turned off and my computer seems to be running fine. If I wait for an update to come out will that fix it or do I need to force an install and how do I do it?

Thanks.

1. Ergys Ura

If you still haven't figured it out, about 2 weeks ago or 1 month, am not sure but the Internet Explorer 9 and its installer were having a few rough bugs, now apparently they have been fixed and the installer is working quite fine. Simply use a special uninstaller one such as Revo Uninstaller and perform and an advanced deletion of IE9 then restart your computer, and re install with the latest version/installer from the site.

• Labecs

It's January 2012 and I have been trying to install IE9 for days, and I have had to reformat and reload my computer twice because the installation or lack thereof, messed my system. I am still trying to find a solution. I am running Win7 64, have all the requirements, and still nothing.

• Man

I'm having the same problem. I can see in the update history that it installed "Successfully" but the update kept coming up over and over in the windows updates. And kept failing. I tried to uninstall and it is jacked now. Can't reinstall. And I just redid my computer 2 days ago... Ack...

Chapman,

were you able to fix your Internet Explorer installation?

Try to uninstal IE9 and to reinstal again

1)go to run and type appwiz.cpl
    2. In the left pane, click View installed updates option to see list of installed updates. Here locate the entry named Windows Internet Explorer 9.
    3. Right-click on the entry and select uninstall to remove Internet Explorer 9 from your PC and revert to Internet Explorer 8.

or

When the install doesn’t go through, (don’t restart your computer yet) check the log again and look at the last set of entries. (Each set of entries is separated by a set of ======…) Look for an entry that looks like:

INFO: Launched package installation: wusa.exe /quiet /norestart C:Users(username)AppDataLocalTempIE9F146.tmpIE9-neutral.Downloaded.msu

Note the file address of the blue section (this may/will be a slightly different address). Then follow these steps:

· Click Start

· Click Computer

· Press Alt + T on your keyboard

· Click Folder options…

· Click the View tab

· Click Show hidden files, folders and drives

· Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) box

· Click OK

· Navigate to the path that you found above (example is in blue text above)

· Open the IE9-neutral.Download.msu file

· Follow the instructions of the installer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to solve Internet Explorer 9 installation problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2409098