How can I fix my external hard drive?

star November 26, 2011

My Western Digital external hard drive fell on the floor. The power light still turns on, but the device does a little vibration and then stops. My computer no longer will recognize it. I need the files on this drive and would like it to work again.

Hello, try giving it a couple of knocks or shaking it a little bit, maybe it will get whatever is jammed inside free/unstuck.  The knocks I am talking about, doesn't have to be too strong, just enough force to see if it clear the jam.  When something like this happens, it is kind of hard to get the harddrive working as it should.  You can also go to western digital site and download the hard drive utilites provided by them and run diagnostics... 

The head of the drive is probably jammed on the platter, which would require you to open up the drive to fix. I suggest taking it to a professional who can recover the data or possibly fix the drive.

- Jeff