How can I fix DXGMMS1.SYS BSOD problems in Windows 7?

Daniel January 17, 2012

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit with SP1. In the last couple of months I’ve been getting BSODs regarding DXGMMS1.SYS. The PC is fairly new with 4GB of RAM and it’s used for Office work and Web browsing. I do have quite a few simultaneous open tabs in my browser. Does anyone know of a solution?

1. ShadowCape

hey ha14 thanks for the tip..pc was running blue screen free so far and it turns out was the bloody driver version. anythin i'll keep in touch :)

do you have any virtual software (Drive emulation), like daemon tools/alcohol 120, then uninstall.
    Uninstall your security soft, reboot and reinstall.

• Daniel

1. No.
      2. Did that a couple of weeks ago, seems I had a bad sector in my HDD which was causing BSODs, so I replaced it, the BSODs continued, I uninstalled/reinstalled my Kaspersky Internet security and I think I had a couple of "quiet" days. But the BSDOs returned, and DXGMMS1.SYS is reported (I don't know what module was at fault before that).

try to uninstall your graphic card driver, reboot and let windows to reinstall aclean one, prior this download the latest graphic card driver, in case windows refuse to install by itself.

Als uninstall Kaspersky and install Microsoft Security Essentials for few days to see if issues goes or comes back.

• ShadowCape

hi im having the same problem. so i installed bluescreen viewer. so it did a scan and it showed in the results under file description
          DirectX Graphics MMS... does this mean the directx or my graphic driver is giving the problem?appreciate some help

• ShadowCape

also used whoscrashed and it mention about my ati driver thingy

yap possible its ATI driver corruption, although the symptom can be the driver the cause can be another one.

to uninstall ATI driver try this method
          http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

then go to run type devmgmt.msc to launch device manager and look under display adapters the entry ATi is removed, then reboot.

you can use drivereasy
          http://drivereasy.com/
          to scan for outdated drivers and to install new ones.

• ShadowCape

okay did a scan..found 1 outdated driver which is my webcam only. uninstalled the ati driver and redownloaded it and reinstalled it. I took it direct of amd website this time. that's okay right? my card is a sapphire and i used to take it from their website. you know i just realized that the problem started when i got this latest driver version 11-12. i never had this problem when i was using 11-8 or 11-9. anyways now im running and testing my pc (fingers crossed). hopefully also it's not a hardware problem

you did the right thing to uninstall and reinstall ATI, if you see that the new driver cause the problem then revert to the older version, and if the problem solves with the older version then report to ATI regarding the latest version bug.

• ShadowCape

yea okay i think i will install the older version and give it a try..thanks and i will keep you posted here

• ShadowCape

and also found the problem was with firefox that was not compatible with that ati version sheesh

quite right some firefox problems were ATI mentioned here
          http://orangescale.net/blog/log/2011/03/firefox-4-graphic-drivers-problems/

Hello, can you post all the information you get under Technical Information for the BSOD you are getting?  Usually this error has to do Direct X. It can be cause most commonly by graphics card drivers, but there can be other reasons too, like new sound installation errors, etc.  Make sure to update the video card drivers.  If possible, try to get the drivers from the graphics card manufacturer, motheorboard manufacturer if it is an onboard card or computer manufacturer's site (HP, toshiba, etc). 

You can also try the following because it is a .sys file.  Make sure to have installation disc handy if available:

-- click on start
    -- type cmd in search box
    -- highlight entry in results and right click on it
    -- select Run as admininstrator
    -- when command prompt opens, try the following:

sfc /scannow

-- let scan run

• Daniel

I've run sfc several times now, no error found.

I installed the Blue screen viewer and Whocrashed, however I can't find any minidumps on my PC (the system was setup to save a memory dump (MEMORY.DMP), so I changed it and will wait for the next event.... - Unless the MEMORY.DMP can be of help?

Hello, I think it is better if you get the program setup to small memory dump when using whocrashed and bluescreen viewer.  Has there been any drivers updates for your system installed lately?  Like I said, this can be caused by several things.  First culprit most times is graphics card.  Have you tried updating those drivers?  Also if possible make sure to download file to update your  BIOS, chipset drivers, and sound drivers. 

Did you try downloading and installing a new version of DirectX?  The error refers to it specifically, the download link is the last one on my previous post. 

Let me know how it goes.