How can I fix my DVD/CD player and writer?

Vern April 27, 2010

I’m unable to do anything with my DVD/CD player/recorder. Using XP in a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2071.

I checked utility files. It says all drivers are working. Used Widows Fix it center, no help. Used Toshiba trouble shooting, no help.

Could the drive have failed? If so what about external player/burner? Thanks for any help. Vern

Vern,

As Antonio said above, could you tell us if the drive shows any signs of life? Does it make any spinning sounds when you insert a CD/DVD?

When it comes to external drives, check out the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Depa=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=external%20dvd%20rom&IsRelated=1&cm_sp=KeywordRelated-_-dvd_rom-_-external%20dvd%20rom

With a notebook is not as easy to check hardware than with a desktop pc. If you feel comfy enough playing with screwdrivers you could try to extract the whole drive and check whether the connections are ok. Also, it depends whether the drive shows "signs of life" or not: does it try to read the media you insert or is it "dead"?

You could contact the Toshiba support to check how much would cost a drive replacement (probably not worthy, I assume).

If you're not constantly moving the notebook, a good option is an external drive. They are quite reliable and not expensive.

Cheers!