How can I fix my dual boot master boot record to work with Zorin?
Question by Irby Smith /

I had Ubuntu as a dual boot with Windows XP but something went wrong and now it’s broken. I decided to install Zorin to try again but the old master boot record for the dual boot is still there and doesn’t work.

How can I fix this so that it works with the Zorin OS I’ve just installed?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Elijah Swartz

Check out EasyBCD.
    http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

It’s a really useful program that lets you easily modify just about anything you can think of regarding boot up. The free version is listed at the bottom left.

Doing a repair install of XP should revert to a single-boot XP installation experience. Boot from your XP CD, select R for to repair the installation, select your OS from the list presented (XP), enter the admin password if prompted. At the command prompt, type ‘fixmbr’ and answer ‘y’ to the confirmation prompt. From there, you should be able to reinstall Zorin and automatically have the dual-boot problem resolved. If you have experience with it, you could also manually set up GRUB2 to boot Zorin instead of reinstalling it.