How can I fix a dry joint on a laptop motherboard?

Shaadia August 20, 2010

How do I permanently remove dry joint on a laptop motherboard?

To be honest, soldering is a manual skill and if you have to ask on a forum how to fix a dry joing, you obivously have little experience in this area. I'd suggest asking someone with experience to do it for you. There's simply too much to lose.

I second 0ron this task requires not only how to but an actual practical experience.

• Dam

Teach a man to fish....he can feed himself for many years. Fish for him and you need him every time.....

2. Artur Wrona

Hi. Basically you have to resolder dry joint. There are few techniques, ranging from fairly standard to outright crazy. But let's cover the basics first.You'll need:a. solder iron (finer the tip, better off are you) OR soldering torch OR butan lighter-torch OR baking ovenb. solder wire (tiny bit)c. dry jointYou can recognize dry joint by it's matte surface when compared to proper solder joint.You fix it either by resoldering joint or putting motherboard into oven preheated to 225?C for couple of minutes and them knocking the board once, so components can reseat on their own.Of course last method is not for feint-hearted or if you have lot to loose regarding the board.If you need to know how to solder, try checking up this website http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htmHope it helped.