How can I fix my Dell PC that won’t boot?

Andres Garcia August 23, 2012

I have a a Dell Inspiron 570
With: 4gb RAM
AMD Athlon II
ATI Raedoen HD 4200
And running windows 7

I recently found out I had a corrupted OS and
tried to reinstall Windows 7 without the setup disk.
(I lost it)

Then the setup failed and it shut down.
Now it just shows the Dell loading screen and that’s all, but it does let me go to boot setup.

1. ishmael

Got a problem with my dell pc,its need an password that I don't know and then says I must strike f1 to set the boot,f2 for setup utility....please help me

2. Frederick Doe

Newer computers tend to have a recovery partition with a backup of the OS on it. If there's no recovery partition, I would recommend calling the manufacturer and asking for a replacement. Some manufacturers charge for replacements. If you don't want to pay to replace what you lost, you can try downloading an ISO from a torrent.

3. Andres Garcia

I Tried to install using an ISO, it goes JUST to the dell loading screen, no sounds
    it loads, and once dell finishes loading, it goes to a black screen and stays that way, not even any text, only once it did, but that's because i pressed F8 I think. But nothing now, i tried it a whole bunch of times and nothing... oh, when it failed the setup, it tried to restart, then it did but the install never contunued. U found out the OS was corrupt when updates failed to install and new drivers wouldn't install

Start up the system and press the ESC key when the Dell logo appears in order to see the text messages displayed during the startup. Do any error messages appear here?

4. GrrGrrr

well it seems that the (re)installation did not go through completely.

Question for you - how did u find that you have a corrupted OS? and if the CD was lost how did you try to install it?

it should have recovery partition?
    1)Turn on the DELL.
    2)Dell logo appears, press F8 several times to access the Advanced Boot Options window.
    3) Select . Repair Your Computer.
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_353562&isLegacy=true

How did you attempt to reinstall Win7 without the DVD? How far did it get before it borked? What do you get on the display now? Does it even try to start Windows? Does it only get as far as the Dell logo and just go to a blank screen? What exactly gets displayed when you try to start the system>