How should I fix my old Dell laptop?

Tracie Bowe August 14, 2012

I removed unnecessary software from my Dell laptop. Nothing is working correctly. The laptop will not load properly, closes browsers on it’s own. I do most of my work via Internet. Should I reload the computer with the original software wiping everything clean after making a backup? It is possible it was damaged in a small plane flight. Or should I take it to a tech?

1. Nikhil Chandak

ask an computer engineer to fix ur old DELL laptop

2. Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

I suggest to you to format your laptop, if that solved your problem then it's good, if not, then take it to the technicians to fix it for you.

3. GrrGrrr

backup ur data

then

using ur Dell OS CD, do a clean OS install.

4. dimbo

Reinstall either from reinstall media, or there may be an option when you boot to reinstall from a hidden partition on your hard drive. Backup everything you need beforehand as it will have gone when u have finished reinstall

Back up important data then format and start again, as its a Dell you will get loads of crapware installed alongside the operating system. Download a program called Decrapifier and run that, it will help you remove the garbage.

6. Dalsan

As long as your laptop is able to try to boot, and you were comfortable with the previous performance, your laptop should be fine, just the OS or hard drive is failing. There are possibilities that something else could be wrong like failing memory, but you should back up your laptop, do virus scans, do a hard drive health scan, and if the hard drive shows as ok, then either repair install your OS, or do a factory restore/fresh install the OS. I would also do a memory check to check the health of your memory just in case. If you are able to get access to another computer, I would recommend downloading and burning Hiren's rescue cd as there are many tools you can use for cases like these. The very first thing I would do is to try booting into safe mode and check if your computer behaves the same.

• Dalsan

If you do a repair install of your OS, most of your data should be untouched, but it is always a good idea to backup everything just in case. If you are able to get into safe mode and don't experience the problems, there are other methods to fix your computer, but it depends if you want to try and see with a chance that you might have to reinstall anyways, or just go ahead with reinstalling your OS. Definitely scan your computer for viruses and scan your hard drive for health and errors. Let us know if you have any questions about doing any of this, there are plenty of us here that can give you step by step instructions to try to fix your problem.

• Dalsan

I honestly believe that the errors are just from deleting items that are system dependent. After reinstalling Windows, should you want to get rid of programs and junk files, get PC Decrapifier or Slim PC to uninstall junk "bloatware" programs that you don't want, get CCleaner to remove junk and temporary files and use it at least once a week, and possibly use IOBit Advanced System Care as it can help keep your computer clean and up to date. These will also keep your computer at like new performance as the clutter is reduced when used.

7. echantrea

Reinstall fresh OS should fix this.

8. Anay Chaubal

I think that a number of factors such as age, use and less maintenance is catching up with the laptop. I think that a virus has infected your laptop, and if the OS does not boot properly, a Format, and re-install of the OS is the only way to go. Remember that you may backup your data, but the virus could remain in the backup and when you connect the backup media to the laptop after formatting and re-installing the OS, the virus will infect it once more. be careful.

9. ferdinan Sitohang

Backup all your important data, and restore to the original state or you can directly re install you laptop. After you install your laptop and still have the same problem, then bring it to the tech.

10. Erlis Dhima

I think it might have a virus problem... So, the best way would be: Back Up your files > Format.
    Then, see if the problem is still happening or no.. (But don't open any of the files you backed up.. Since they may have been affected. Install an antivirus before opening anything)
    If the problem it's not there, then go to a computer repair shop...
    This is my suggestion!

11. Burhan Ahmed

All the problem you are mentioning here are software related. Restoring OS to original state using recovery dvds should fix it