How do I fix a corrupted MS Access database?

Nills N July 19, 2014

MS Access .mdb & .ldb database corrupted

I am using a A.mdb database. You know when connecting the database Microsoft automatically create a .ldb file. Unfortunately my PC shutdown when connecting the database. As a result after restart the PC I couldn’t open the A.mdb file. The message shown A.mdb database is corrupted. A.mdb database was password lock but after corrupted if I give the valid password the database not open and showing the password not valid. Now I couldn’t open the database. Now it shown A.mdb file with A.ldb file. Please advise me if PC shutdown with the connected .mdb database then why the database not recover after restart? Also I tried with the option Database Repair and Recovery.

Please advise me and thanks again for your kind co-operation.

Best Regards

[Ed note: Comments linking to sites/software responsible for forum spamming will not simply have the links removed.  They will be deleted in their entirety.  No exceptions.]

1. Alice H

Compact and Repair option in MS Access enables you to repair damaged MDB files and make them accessible. Database files contain important records which you can not afford to lose. You can read the solution and perform the steps given in http://nalavadebela.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/effective-technique-to-repair-inaccessible-access-database-files/. You will proper screenshots of every step in this blog post.

copy the LDB file and rename the copied file to XXX.mdb and then double click on the file, check if it will open

Any unexpected quit of the application without gracefully closing the database can and often will cause corruption ~ power outage, blue screen, software crash, even a regular shutdown without closing Access beforehand. This is a known problem of MS Access.

Basically there are only four options you can do:
    1. try deleting the LDB file and then open the database
    2. try the compact & repair option on the database
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/access-help/compact-and-repair-an-access-file-HP005187449.aspx
    3. try third-party tools to repair the corruption
    4. restore from a backup

If you are absolutely sure you were the only one in the database at the time, you can make a copy of the .mdb file (and not the .ldb) and try to open that file instead, possibly with the Repair option. It sometimes works.